garden wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Homeworks, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Homeworks

Homeworks LawnSite Member

about to make a 2ft garden wall around a tree, and fill in the inside with soil, and put in some flowers.
    My question is...1) is it ok to cover the bottom 2 feet of the tree with soil?
    2) is it ok to put limestone screening around the roots of the tree when i install the wall?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't recommend it. It'll start to harbor all types of fungus and non-beneficial insects.
  3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Most likely you will kill the tree by the end of this season if not next. By piling soil on top of the roots of the tree you will suffocate the roots. The roots must exchange gases to survive. You will also likely create a situation which will cause the trunk of the tree to rot and invite pest and disease problems as well. Type of tree, age and environmental conditions will also contribute to the amount of time the tree will live after the soil is piled on the roots. If the tree can be raised or replaced your much better off.

As for limestone screenings around the tree for your wall, would that be for the base material? When you dig the trench for the base, if you cut roots larger than about 1" in diameter, you are hurting the tree. Most of the roots of a tree are in the top 6"-12" of the soil. The less damage you do the better.

4. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

5. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I agree also with the above.
    I watched a home owner put in 2 double Foxtail Palms and put weed barrier around it and them and about 5 inches of white rock.
    7 months later they are both dead.
    He saw me doing a job down the street and asked what happened to his trees.
    I told him he sufficated the trees and second stop buying your trees from the Home Crapper and Lowes Blows.