1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bulls_mowing, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

Hi guys I was planning on just mowing lawns and doing the edging but Ive decided i would like to learn how to do gardening and was wondering what would be the best way to learn.

any sugestions? :)
  2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

thats kind of a broad term, "gardening". you could work with another outfit that does "gardening", and learn that way. or you could take classes and learn to be a master gardener. or do you mean you just want to now how to pull weeds and put plants in the ground. a little more specific please, or do you want to get into landscaping?
  3. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

you know what im talking about doing gardens as well as lawns youknow like pruning weeding lawn aeration hedging soil analysis

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You have to be more specific on what it is you are talking about-- I sold a house to people from London last month and every house we looked at they talked about the great "garden" and I never saw one-- about 1/2 way through the day I realized that to them the garden was the back yard lawn--
    In the States we talk about the garden as a place to plant crops or flowers- Shrubs are in beds and the grass is the lawn.
  5. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

We do lots of fine gardening, as do many other members here. Books are great, classes are better, but nothing beats years of field experience to know exactly what you are doing. What I mean is, there are plenty of similarities and things that you can expect to go right or wrong in the garden setting, but every years brings a new set of challenges and circumstances. To become an expert, it's going to take some time. Get involved with your local county extension and see if they have master gardner classes....if nothing else, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
  6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

you can do a tafe course pruning etc, best thing to do is just weeding, i have had a big job this week at $40 an hour pulling weeds,its not rocket science and it will leave you time to build up your lawnmowing round, P.S nobody round here does weeding they are getting $60+hour mowing so they think there are losing money by weeding, but theres no fuel or machinery costs, i use a shovel,rake and a 3 prong hoe, about $25 worth of equip, have made several $100 in the last week alone.:) can be hard on couch in garden beds etc and you get sore hands
  7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

bull ,to start with i would just go with the mow and go routine.if you dont have much knowledge in the gardening game you my get called out .you can always learn while you are establishing a mowing round.maybe do a hort course at night or get info from the net, mags etc