Garner/Fuquay Varina North Carolina area

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by dlite, Jun 28, 2007.

1. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

I have recently moved into a new house where my yard was seeded w/straw. Rather then begin any maint or whatever on the lawn during the hot summer months I decided maybe I should wait til fall and begin then. But I'm getting many weeds, etc and am thinking of trying to begin something now. My first thought was to get a soil sample and have it tested but I have no idea where I can get that done in my area as I'm new to the area having moved here from out of state. Can someone help me with the following:
    1) Where can I get a soil sample with recommendations on how to proceed to start/maintain my lawn?
    2) Whether it's even worth it to start working on it now in the summer time?
    Thanks.

2. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

You can get a soil sample kit from the cooperative extension service. It may be a good idea to find out what you lack and start building the soil in anticipation for Fall. Unless you want to do a warm season grass it is too hot to plant fescue and get great results.

3. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I think I miss read your post. You are not talking about trying to seed now are you? You mean get your lawn weed free and looking nice. You can get rid of the weeds now , but make sure you follow the label and don't spray when temps are too high. Also, you may want to aerate the lawn and water at least 1 1/2 inches per week. I don't know when the lawn was fertilized last , but if it was a month or so ago, use Ironite or Milorganite to green it up. Keep it cut high, about 3 1/2 to 4 inches. Water and cutting high will help you make it to Fall in decent shape.

4. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

No, not talking about seeding now - planned to wait til Fall to do that. The seed/straw was put down in the spring but it's had some real difficulty actually growing, and little actual grass. I have LOADS of weeds which I'd like to start getting rid of now.