1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gary Allen - Designers Landscape

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Deere, Feb 27, 2000.

1. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

Hello, every weekend I get a good laugh when I watch HGTV and see ol' Gary Allen doing his half hour landscape job. For those of you who live in larger cities and larger populated states these jobs are probably realistic, but I was just curious to hear from any of you landscapers how realistic is it to get these jobs? If your not familiar with the show he is doing what no doubt is a 2-3 day job with at least 4-5 workers. I can't believe some of these people have the money as well. Anyways I was just seeing if any of you had some comments and some of the same feelings I have on it. Don't get me wrong, Gary Allen and his show is excellent, but again I'm just wondering how many of those types of jobs would come my way in the years to come. Thanks!
  2. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

he's no different than norm on this old house they have every tool they need plus 10 more and they do projects the average joe would never think of . but they do get your mind going with ideas, i think thats what their there for. thats so the home owners run out to home depot and buy everything they need and get home and relize they have to sweat to do the project , and then they call us to fix what they have done nothing worst than fixing someone elses job hey those shows do bring people to you even if they are kinda wacked just my thoughts jarrett
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I try to catch his show every week. He does take on some hefty projects, but I'm sure he has a completee staff to get it done and the show probably brings with it the customers with the bucks that want to say &quot;I had Gary do our work, he is sooooooooo gooooood&quot; I e-mailed him one time to find out what type of fertilizer he put in the holes before planting( he said to do this because he wouldn't tell on the air) and never got a response! Oh well, when you hit the big time..............! I still watch it to get ideas.<p>Homer
  4. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

to respond to the forum.gary is from fla,and things aren`t as they seem.gary has a small co.but doesn`t take any jobs that he can`t film.it costs 4k just to get him to consider doing it.he gets alot of help thru bartering and trading.he concentrates on the show more than locale work,but he has quite a rep.he is very good at what he does.besides ,his shows are staged for time limitations.
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

In the Northeastern Illinios Area(Chicago) It would be a small job what he does, We have people that spend over 100K in landscaping<p>----------<br>paul<br>
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I almost bought one of Gary's trucks a few years ago. It was in the Auto Trader.<p>For you HGTV watchers, is that other landscaping show still on, it was &quot;Breakin Ground&quot; or something. I don't know if it is or even if the same people are on it, but the woman that hosted it really irritated me. She was a snooty crab.
  7. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

Paul, just wanted to make sure about your comment. Are you telling me that residential homeowners pay 100K for landscaping? If you are telling me that people in the Chicago area pay 100K for commercial landscaping for apt. complexes and businesses etc. then I will buy that, but 100K for a home?
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Yes, Paul it's true, homeowners spend big bucks around here. When you put in a 2 or 3 acre sod lawn with inground sprinklers, haul in about 20 trees at over a grand each, huge patios made with the fancy brick. This all adds up in a hurry.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I landscaped a doctor 10 years ago that spent 185K just on landscaping, I had to take them out to pick trees at the nursery. In just planning there where more than 4 revisions.<br>Peop;e will spend money on landscaping here, an average home in my area will spend 10K<p>----------<br>paul<br>
  10. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

100K is a lot to spend on a landscaping, but I would think every sizable community has areas where they spend that.<p>I have an area less than a mile from my home where all the homes have extensive landscapes. I know one of the designers and he said the total on one I knew about was 162,000.<p>Some people are nuts, but it's good for busniess! :)