1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas- $.40 a mile to drive my rig today

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Olylawnboy, May 11, 2006.

1. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

As I was mowing today I figured out that it costs forty cents a mile (just in gas alone) to drive my rig. Wow. It's a Chevy 4-door, with a 350 and a 20' trailer, carrying a JD 318, a 42" Walker, 36" Bobcat, a pair of Honda's and all the trimmers blowers etc that we use. Just blows me away :)
    So what does it cost to drive your rigs?
  2. Olylawnboy

from Oly Wa

opps, that was based on 3.19 a gal for reg here today :)
  3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummm....LEts see...I have a Chevy S-10, that I paid 40 dollars to completely fill up. It goes for 450 miles on one tank.

Umm....To much
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

About 25 cents/mile. 360 dodge 4X4, tandem trailer with two ZTRs, or 1 ZTR and 1 WB, plus 21" and trimmers, blowers ect.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1986 D-250 318ci 2bbl carbureted, premium unleaded, 19 cents / mile.
    That's 3.049 for the fuel when bought at discount (crazy mon, wacky tues, etc), at 15.3 mpg.

Then again I go real light on the throttle and I only carry one 48", one weedeater, and a handheld blower.
  6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you need a 20' trailer for the three mowers you discribed? Thats half your problem right there.
  7. Olylawnboy

from Oly Wa

Epic, that's just what I had on for the day, to kind of give an idea of the weight I had on at the time. Three days a week I have second 318 with a collection unit and that takes up some space :) Hence the 20 footer. And for the record, I'm only getting 8 plus miles per gal with a full load and a full crew. Really kind of sucks :) But it still works for me.
  8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Ok this got me thinking what mine was...because I get 4.5 MPG on my dump & trailer. So it costs me $.66 every mile. Nice. Guess that's why I do estimates in my Toyota truck. I spend at minimum $250 a week in gas for a solo operation.
  9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

about 19 cents a mile. Jeep grand cherokee and a 10 foot trailer.
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well my dodge with the V-10 gets 4, maybe 5 MPG with the trailer... Our fuel is a bit less here, $2.67 for the past week or better. No Matter how you look at it, I REALLY didn't want to ever think about what it costs to drive a MILE. Thanks a lot man!