Gas additives (seafoam)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lynden-Jeff, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I use this stuff on my car and it is amazing, im just wondering what you guys think of additives for gas. The product I use is called seafoam, althought its hard to find it is worth every penny: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTech.htm. What are your guys views on additives?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, But I don't believe in any of that crap. All they are good for is prolonging a problem. Fix the problem and be done with it.
    Besides if any of them were worth a crap OEM's would be advertising to use them in their products.

To each his own....

3. Lynden-Jeff

Ah, well im not really prolonging a problem I just have 2 brand new kawis and im wondering if it would help to keep them clean. The amount of crap it cleans out of my civic is unbeliveable. Its probably to good and takes off plugging the rings so I burn a little more oil but the rough idles and things go away. Just don't know how smaller engines would handle this stuff.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If one performs regular service a engine will stay clean on the inside. I work for a equipment rental company and dealership, Our equipment is serviced (oil changed) every 50 hrs., I can pull any one of the oldest (10yrs.) down and you could eat off the inside.
    The key word is SERVICE.

Sorry for being so blunt in my first post, I've been a Tech. of some kind all my life (old man :cry: ) and seen the inside of many engines ran on many things. Thats what I based my opinion on.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Its ok the whole reason I post is to get feedback!

Cheers
    Jeff

6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

A big second to Restro's SERVICE comments. Regular service will prevent many of the usual problems from occurring.

On the other hand, Seafoam has been an excellent product for freeing carboned up rings in 2 strokes. Pull the plug, fill the cylinder with Seafoam, replace the plug, turn the blade to hydro lock the piston, then set the unit up on it's nose overnight. Next day blow out the cylinder, start and run unit with a Seafoam rich fuel or dribble it through the air horn. Have resurrected a number of LawnBoys with this approach. Again, as Restro so aptly put it, if those LawnBoys had had their exhaust ports cleaned on a regular basis, the ring problem likely would not have occurred.

Dutch

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the other post. I use seafoam in all my 2 cycle mix, I just use it at 1 oz per gallon instead of the recommended 2 oz per gallon. Ive had great success with it and I think its a great to keep an engine clean. I treat the fuel tanks on my mowers when I do an oil change to help keep any moisture and the carbs clean. I also use it as a fuel stabilizer in the winter time also.

wayne

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

No gas additives for me. I figure that with all the stuff they use in fuels today for additive packages already in the gas when you buy it there really isnt a need for any more additives. Seafoam, Lucas, all of that stuff is overrated.

Now on diesels my thinking changes. Especially with the ULSD ultra low sulfur diesel that is making its way to the pumps and decreasing the lubricity of diesel fuel there is a need to run an additive. For that I use powerservice. Until they get B5 down here I will be running powerservice.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sea foam all the way on 2 stoke trimmers and blowers.....definitely don't think it hurts anything. Echo has a little problem with clogging ports so I want as much prevention as I can get.

10. Lynden-Jeff

How much do you add to a 20 liter mix per say.

Cheers
    Jeff