gas and oil mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

I've got an echo backpac blower, stihl trimmer, off brand stick edger,and a 21" lawn boy. They all seem to take a different ratio of gas/ oil mix. Should I keep a seperate container for each piece of equipment or is there a happy medium?:alien:
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Amsoil 100:1 Premix. Mix it at about 80:1
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem. I read the posts about the others using amsoil, and got me some. I have been using it for two months, and the equiptment seems to have more powerand no smoking at all. It is really nice to only have one can of mix gas now!!!!
  4. Hustla Kid

Hustla Kid LawnSite Member
    from TN

Thought about a poll of Amsoil users, to see how many prefer the 100:1 to the 50:1 racing. (didn't know how to do a poll) Fixing to order some, and have to decide which kind would be the best.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I use one fuel can for all, trimmers, blowers and chain saws. I use 21/2 gal. cans and use Havoline 2 cycle oil. Never measure just pour till it looks about right. Been running same equipment for over 7 yrs. with no problems:D
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

stihl or echo 50-1 and high octane gas. mix exact or just a tiny tad oil rich . clean exhaust,easy cranking. the only reason to mix a tad oil rich is the newr equipment is set really lean to meet epa standards.sometimes they can vapor lock . not a problem but it sometimes cost time while they cool off.luck now
  7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

In the old days I used LawnBoy @ 32:1 in everything and for years now have used Stihl @ 50:1. Always mixed the ratio exactly as on the can and no problems.
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

9. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I keep a separate gas can, clearly labled on both sides what the mixture is. I tried this 'one can fits all' mixtures a few years ago with an oil company which claimed to work for all equipment. When my new trimmer locked up, and the manufacturer told me that they could easily tell that I was running with the wrong oil gas mixtures, I contacted the oil company. They quickly had their attorney send me a letter stating their warranty, which was none. A costly mistake. If you want to chance your non-warranty power equipment on non-factory gas/oil blends, go ahead. But if you have a problem with your power equipment which is under warranty, watch out. I learned the hard way. For me, I only follow the manufacturers recommendation. I've seen too many snake oil salesmen with claims that your power equipment will now fly if you use their oil.
  10. lakeviewnw

lakeviewnw LawnSite Member

Almost every equipment mfgr. also has their own "Private Label" 2-cycle oil, which is designed to run at a specific mixture, be it 50:1, 32:1, etc.

What you need to remember, is that the ratio is determined by the oil...not the equipment ! Equipment does not have a brain, where it can say "I'll work at this ratio, but not that one".

There are several excellent oils out there that one can use. Amsoil seems to be the "synthetic" of choice with many of the members, as is evidenced by the testimonials being given here. Opti-2 is an excellent "petroleum-based" product. Both of these products obviously have proven themselves to be able to be used in any 2-cycle application, regardless of make or model, or they would'nt still be around for as many years as they have been on the market.

The key, as I see it, is if you mix your oil of choice according to the manufacturers recommended ratio, you will have no problems.