Gas and Truck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by njsnakeman, Jul 14, 2007.

1. njsnakeman

njsnakeman LawnSite Member

How much do you guys spend on gas a day or week with the ammount of accounts you have?

Also- would a 95' Ford Ranger 4cyl. be strong enough to pull around a 6x10 trailer (with equipment) everyday, or should I probably get atleast a 6 cyl?

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

at Least a 6 cyl. and even that you will outgrow probably fast
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Depends what you have on the trailer. It will probably pull it. Just don't overload the trailer and be careful. BUt you should think about getting a bigger truck when you can afford it.
  4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be really taxing that 4 cyl. and it will start to use the oil. A fuel injected 6 would be better, but of course I have no idea how much or what type of equipment you are hauling around. With the 4 banger, don't expect to be in the fast lane going up a hill. Best regards.
  5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It also depends on how far you drive.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We spend about $2k per month on mowers and trucks.

Get at least a 6 banger.
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

3 Trucks. I-6, V8, V10, plus mowers and equipment I can spend close to $4000 each month.
  8. CrimsonLCS

CrimsonLCS LawnSite Member

I would get a diseal truck, it may cost more at first but will save you tons in the long run
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Not necessarily true - expenses dictate cost savings, not the type of truck or motor.
    I have been replacing my truck fleet every four years and am getting away from diesel units. I ran the numbers and a comparable equipped gas truck verse diesel truck was quite startling.
    I have ended up specifying gas motors on XL chassis and the cost differential between purchase price, maintenance and fuel meant for me I could buy one gas truck, operate it for four years, sell it and take the residual value and apply towards a new truck with additional funds remaining. Basically the gas truck verse diesel means every four years I save over half the purchase value of the gas truck verse the diesel. Pretty much every third truck is paid for by the savings as I am not buying diesel powered units.
    I run run four crews and trucks, and spend about $4,800.00/month on fuel.
  10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I am pretty small. I spend about $700 a month on fuel in the truck and mowers.