1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas blowing out of muffler. 97' Chevy 1500 WT

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bamaone, Apr 15, 2006.

1. bamaone

bamaone LawnSite Member

What is this? Fuel injector problems? at red lights, truck shakes bit and sounds like it wants to shut down. What to do? Thanks for your input.
  2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

so its blowing out liquid gas? are you 100% sure its gas and not water? if its blowing out that much gas im suprised it runs.
  3. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

If you had gas at the tail pipe, you would have burned holes in the exhaust by now. My girl frineds VW was running too rich and the catalitic converter was glowing so bright red that you could see the light on the pavement during the day.
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds to me like one of your cylinders is not firing. check the plugs and wires, I had a similar problem on my truck once. twas a bad plug on mine, but yours could be any number of things.

do you have a 305 or 350 v8?
  5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

no way is liquid gasoline making it all the way through the exhaust system. way more info is needed here. get a Haynes repair manual, or take it someone who can read any trouble codes.
  6. bamaone

bamaone LawnSite Member

the other day we were putting mulch out of my trailer, I had the truck running while we pitched out of the trailer then I moved up a bit and so on.
    I was raking and standing by the muffler. I was getting a little light headed (not really) but I did notice a potent smell (like gas) and realized it was coming from the muffler. Then noticed that on ground below tail pipe was a wet spot. It is more like a mist blowing out of tailpipe. Maybe it is oil but it smells alot like gas. Anyways, thanks for the responses. I will check plugs and cables tomorrow and see what happens.