1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas came out the muffler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WalkGood, Jun 10, 2008.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Have an older Sears rider mower 502.254170b (really a Murray)... 30" blade 10 HP Tecumseh engine TVM220-157115J.

Was running fine Sat , altho was idling higher than usual and also revved higher when no load on it.

Anyway, yesterday I had to start it to move it out of the way in the shed. It acted like a hard start, cranked twice VERY slowly then it puked gasoline out of the muffler.

Now I'm thinking maybe a needle valve or float not working and the fuel just dripped/flowed/oozed into the cylinder?

I took out the spark plug and cranked but only a few drops came out. Reinstalled same plug and wouldn't start, fuel level in tank at bottom. Added some gas and it started right up. Ran somewhat rough and I shut it down to avoid any damage.

What is the likely problem?
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

bingo your right on
  3. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

Check the crankcase to see if it's full of fuel
  4. WalkGood

I think that is possible. I had checked the oil 2 weeks ago, and it needed a bit under a pint. Then I checked it a week later and it was sky high. After mowing an hour the oil level was normal. At the time I thought maybe the dipstick just had oil "stuck" to it still from running.

Now in retro spect maybe it was full of fuel that seeped down past the rings while it sat for the week. And when I ran it after only 2 days of sitting the fuel did not seep down enough yet.

So what should I look at ... the float or the needle valve?
  5. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

Check the float, the float valve & the float valve seat. The float should not be gas-logged. Check for trash caught between the tip of the needle and the seat. Clean the valve seat with a q-tip. The tip of the needle is probably "viton" plastic and should not have any grooves worn into it, if so you need a replacement.
  6. WalkGood

I found the float stuck down (or open), it was hanging on the center "shaft" where the brass fitting/bleeder screws into the body of the carb holding the bottom carb cup. Hope that makes sense.

Not sure why it got hung up so low in the first place.

Anyway, started right up (after oil change) and ran perfectly.