Gas Can Lids - Driving me to insanity -Can I buy Bulk??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by keepoffthegrass, Feb 22, 2012.

1. keepoffthegrass

keepoffthegrass LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Anyone that has employees know what im talking about.

Even with bulk tanks on site, we still have a fleet of about 14 jerry cans.

We use the WEDCO style cans pictured below. We get them for $9.99 for 5g and $6.99 for 2.5g ones.

My employees manage to loose the sealing piece, break the spout, break the caps and break the bleeder caps and loos those too. EVERY DAY! MULTIPLE! :hammerhead:

Ranting and bitching and educating does not work. :nono:

The replacement from the depot cost $5.99 which is over half the cost of the complete can. :dizzy:

Anyone know if these lids,caps and spouts can be bought in bulk? My research showed nothing so far.

gas can.jpg

gas can.jpg

2. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to give my guys a bonus when they didn't loose the caps and screw up like that. If they are that irrisponsible with things like that, what are they doing with the things that I don't see. Their bonus was that they got to keep their jobs.

I keep a stack of McDonalds application forms on my dashboard.

$1.29 at Home Hardware.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I6617146?Ntt=Gas+Can+Caps

Mick

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I like Fireguy97's response..... :clapping:

I tell the guys after a couple times of screw-ups, if it happens again I'm passing the collection plate around and it's coming out of THEIR pocket. That normally solves repeated issues.....

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

In the US you can not get the old pour spout type any more. All they sell now thanks to the EPA is a spring loaded spout that takes 3 hands to use.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/ef2g.html

They do not allow the can to breathe so it will not vent gas fumes. Thanks to the EPA it is hard to buy a good gas can in the US now.

5. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

I HATE those CARB spouts....or whatever they call them. They make me feel stupid when I use them.....damn it.

maybe some of you Canadians could buy a few boxes of the spouts, mark them up 500% and ship them to us Yankees in the States. I'd buy them if I could find them

:usflag:

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

The funny thing with the new cans. All i ever see guys doing (myself included) is spilling gas all over the dam place with them. Trying to hold back the spring and fill a weedwhacker tiny gas tank.

We spill 10 times the gas now than we ever did before.

Stupid cans.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just wait till you have to pull your vehicle into a special enclosure to gas up then have to wait till all the fumes are vacuumed out before exiting.... :dizzy:

8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with Fireguy and you; charge them for lost or broken equipment (excludes wear and tear).

9. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

10. mwwyne

mwwyne LawnSite Member

heres a site that sells non carb spouts www.ezpourspouts.com