1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas can pump....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, May 22, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I tried a search and came up with nothing on these.

Does anyone use one of those pumps found in Northern catalogs for 5 gallon gas cans?
    The kind you hand pump that sells for about $29 (can and pump together).

I always spill gas when filling up my mowers when the can is full.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i had one of those, and believe it or not someone stole it. great item, saves tons of gas because u wont spill anymore, and they work great.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You go to the auto parts store and for aprox. $39 buy a universial fuel pump. Then get yourself a 12 volt battery and switch and wire along with some fuel hose and some fittings. Then go to a hardware or home cheapo and see if you can find a spring loaded spray nozzle like you would use on a backpack sprayer. Throw it all together and "bingo" you've got yourself a battery powered 2 stroke filling station right on your trailer. I've used this type of setup for years. I don't have to balance a 5 gal can of gas trying to fill a trimmer and I never spill anything anymore. Total cost not counting the battery should set you back about $50, the best money I've ever spent.
  4. lakeviewnw

lakeviewnw LawnSite Member

Not familiar with gascan pumps, but there is a product available called the "Sure-Pour" gascan, which comes with a nozzle that automatically shuts off the flow of fuel from the can, when your tank is full. It is available in 1.0 & 2.5 gallon sizes. Might be the solution you are looking for to solve "overflows".
  5. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

I bought 2 from Tractor Supply Company about 3 years ago. It has a plunger type thing that goes in the can and a long rubber hose. The O rings went out of one of them and I havent been able to find another one since. If I remember right they were 12.95 each. Really handy. I use it on my mix can and it makes it a breeze to fill up trimmers and blowers. I don't know if they dont carry them anymore or if they are just out when I check. Can't ever find anyone there that seems to know.
  6. tovoninc

tovoninc LawnSite Member

Pro-Cut, if you still have the o-ring or the groove size for the o-ring I can point you in a direction for replacements. Let me know & I'll help. For a few $$'s you'll have enough o-rings for 10 cans. I work with this type stuff all the time and can spec the right material that resists petroleum products.
  7. Pro-Cut Lawns

I appreciate that. I will dig it out and see but if I remember right I tried to get into it where the O ring goes and it was sealed. Its a small O ring that goes inside where the plunger works through and its a molded plastic housing with no access. The O ring just came out through the top as I was pumping fuel. I will double check that though cause I sure would like to fix it if possible. I can't find a replacement around here anywhere.
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Mowerman90, I had seen your photo and description of your set up in another thread. I'll think about it, but I just found on Northerns website that I can get just the pump to put into my own can for $10 (rather then buy both pump and can for $30).

So I may just go this route for now to save on money and time.

Pro-Cut check out www.Northerntool.com where you can just buy another pump for $10.

Thanks to all for the input.
  9. Pro-Cut Lawns

Thanks gogetter
    I'll check it out. I have one on my 5 gallon mix can and want another one for my 5 gallon can I use for my 21". I'll check them out.
  10. JDD

JDD LawnSite Member

Try Petro Pump Model# HP009. www.instep.net (click on "outdoor sports" and go to "petro pump")