Gas Can Tricks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GeorgiaGrassMan, Jun 12, 2003.

1. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Do you guys have any tricks you use to help prevent putting 2 cycle fuel in a 4 cycle machine and vise versa? I'm afraid I'm going to be in a daze some day and get them mixed up unless I have some sort of system to keep me from doing it.
  2. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Our solution has always been to use 2.5 gallon cans for mixed 2 cycle gas, and 5 gallon cans for straight gas. You associate the can size with the piece of equipment you are filling. It works for us.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Can size
    2. Can color (Red for regular and blue or yellow for 2-cycle).
    2. A big Black Marker and write 2 cycle on the sides of the cans.

4. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

I used black marker and put an "S" and "M" on the top of each can. "S" stands for straight gas, "M" stands for mixed gas.

Plain and simple.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto this. I have the gallons marked off in case I have to make more mix from the straight gas.

6. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

Is that S for straight gas and M for mixed OR
    S for string trimmer and M for Mower......

I use a marker and write trimmer/blower all over 1 can and leave the other alone.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i wouldnt callit a trick . just write mixed gas on one, and mower gas on the other.
    i thank that would work.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I think the size of the can is all it takes. 2.5 is perfect for 2 stroke and the bigger can for straight for the bigger mowers. I don't think it will happen to me for it is routine now.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just spray paint the whole 2 cycle can black and write the word "mix" very simple. You might want to get the fusion paint made by krylon. My paint keeps UNpainting itself. :rolleyes:
  10. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I use a big black marker and write gas on one and mix on the other (freshen up the marks every month or so). Also, I wrap gray duct tape on the handle of all ''mix" tanks. This works for me and I haven't mixed them up yet.