gas can

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Opened the enclosed trailer today and it smelled like someone poured gas everywhere, pulled out all the fuel tanks and found the 50/50 one was wet around the top, I thought I had punctured it....took the top off(it's a brand new self siphon type) looked at it closer, nothing put the cap back on, went to get some fresh rags, returned and it was leaking again, from the cap?? It's a quarter full and somehow pulling fuel up the spout and leaking, I cranked on the cap, wiped again, within a minute it started again...things don't travel up/liquid?? I messed with the spout and aligned the arrows it had and it stopped??? So much for the new fancy type of fuel can, I sticked to the old kind, the ones with spount and separate release. :realmad:

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

leave the cap slightly loose. Its building up pressure as it warms up and forcing the gas up the tube. That is if you haven't already pitched it .

3. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I have two of these cans and had the same thing happen with mine. I pumped the gas in them and found a puddle of gas around them when I returned from paying for the fuel. My old style can didn't spew any. One thing that I have found with all of the plastic cans is that they all seem to leak around the spout when filling up the tank. I plan to get some metal cans that have a funnel mounted on the spout. They can't spill anywhere except into the funnel!

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I use the new ventless plastic cans and also had some gas fume smell problems, plus "fat" cans when they got hot. Thought about throwing them away or yardsale them, but instead drilled a very small hole (some small number drill size, not much bigger than 1/64") in the yellow cap that pushes onto the spout. It solved the fume problem and didn't create any spill problems. It also stopped the cans from shrinking down on cold nights. Also, I shielded the cans from the sun on the trailer to keep vapor loss at a minimum. This may be worth a try if anyone is about to give up on this kind of can.

5. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I had a similar problem happen last year with my mix gas can the can blew up like a balloon loosened the cap and it returned to normal they suck!

6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Are these the new "ventless" cans yall are talking about?

The ones with no little flip cap vent? I don't see how they are making these.. but I'm sure the EPA has something to do with it. I purchased a small 1.4 gallon one from Wally-World the other day, took it to the pump and filled it about 3/4 full. Set it in the back of the truck, and before I could even close the bed lid, the thing was just drizzling gas out.

They are such a PITA, but I don't even think you can find the old style plastic cans anymore.

Almost makes a person desperate enough to order the metal safety cans from somewhere.

7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, its them, put the spout into the tank, put the lid on and watched as the fuel worked its way up and out of the spout, I cranked on the cap, but the yellow vent stays loose, and it did it again, I then aligned the arrow on the cap with the way the spout was in the tank and it stopped, the tank only had a 1/4 of fuel, I think is been leaking all this time, I'm going to try and drill a hole like Jay Ray suggested. :) :)

8. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

You can keep all of the plastic cans made. Get metal safety cans. They last, and if you ever have had a fuel fire start off while you were filling a piece of hot equipment, they are worth their weight in gold.

Mike