Gas cans - my solutions

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RaulMcCai, May 1, 2013.

1. 123GO

123GO LawnSite Member
    from Ca

2. 123GO

123GO LawnSite Member
    from Ca

I bought (4) 5 gal briggs old style spout plastic cans on clearence when all this started for $4 ea. Right place, right time or so I thought. First time used the spout broke in half. Thanks briggs.... Gave 2 away, kept two for emergency generator if needed?

I bought an old steel galv (1) gal just-rite off flea-bay for $8. I bought the 5 gal steel galv just-rite can as a large one for $35. I was really pissed over it all to spend that much....lol *trucewhiteflag*
    What really sucks is I threw away a good 5 gal steel galv one like the just-rite can yrs ago...who knew?

3. chefcam864

chefcam864 LawnSite Member

A lot of guys have had a lot of inventive/creative ideas, but here is ALL YOU NEED. So simple. Just buy these vent caps, drill a 1/2" hole in the back of the can, and presto!

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=261152083357

This place sells all kinds of gas can related stuff.
    I bought a 10 pack of vents, and modified all of my CARB cans. It works perfectly! I can empty a 5gal can in 2 mins
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

works but gas leaks around it which means vapors are getting out around it all the time not just when it's open.

5. chefcam864

Well yeah, but it's no different than the pre-2009 cans, and you spill a whole lot less gas. I think it's easier to fill the mowers up at the gas station, so I only keep a 5gal full of ethanol free premium, that I use to fill up a 2.5 gal No-Spill for pre-mix. I've warmed up to the No-Spill cans. My first few experiences (in the heat of summer in SC) were bad, but I've come to love my 2.5 gal.
    All that said, if you Must fill up large mowers out of a can, and have several cans around that you hate, the vent caps are a quick, easy way to make them serviceable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i fill the ztr up at the gas station but i also use a 5 gallon to add to it sometimes. i have honda trimmer and husqvarna 324ldx trimmer/edger which uses honda engine. they are 4 stroke so they use straight gas. i also have a 21" push mower. i use the 5 gallon to fill all of them up too.

i could get another 2 1/2 gallon just for the trimmers but it's nice to use the 5 gallon to add some gas to the ztr sometimes. it keeps me from having to go to the gas station. 5 gallons is about half a tank of gas for the ztr. a little less than half. ztr tank is 11.5 gallons.

i use a 2 1/2 gallon mix gas for the stihl br600 blower. the thing is that 2 1/2 gallon of mix lasts me forever since i only use it for the blower. i can fill it up once and it will last 3 months or longer. :laugh:

i only have to add a tiny bit of mix gas to the blower each day. one blower tank of gas will last me 3-4 days almost. the good thing about mix is it has fuel stabilzers in it so the gas will last for a long time without going bad.

i'm solo so i'm not using a ton of gas every day. the mower uses the most gas. i can go 2-3 days on the trimmers or blowers easily before needing to add more gas to them.

i have a no spill 5 gallon can for straight gas and a 2 1/2 gallon no spill can for mix gas.

when i used the blitz cans i had a 5 gallon straight gas can and 1 gallon mix gas can.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  7. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I bit the bullet and bought a 2.5 gallon no spill for hand helds. It works great. Don't bother Jerry rigging just buy the no soill.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I must have misunderstood something here. Are you saying you can use a trimmer for 2-3 days on one tank of gas? Even if they do have a bigger tank than mine, I can only weed trim and edge about 2 or 3 lawns before mine runs out.

10. chefcam864

I was thinking the same thing. My blower burns 2 tanks a day. It's a pig, but it moves a lot of air. I go through a lot more pre-mix than this guy, and I'm solo too.
    Posted via Mobile Device