Gas cans

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PTP, Sep 29, 2005.

1. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I really don't like those new ventless gas cans. Why did we have to change? Did the EPA or some govt agency have their nose where it didn't belong?

First of all, they don't pour good - especially the 5 gallon cans. It takes twice as long as it used to to fill up the mower.

Also, the gas always sloshes out of these things. The little yellow caps are useless and always get lost and so when I hit a bump, there goes a little bit. I think that a bunch is evaporating as well. I think that I loose about 2 gallons per week with these things. That is not a lot but I could use that extra $6 for something better.

If the change was just a decision by Blitz, it was a terrible one.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if Chilton is still making cans, but they were pretty nice. I started using those after it became difficult to find the Rubbermaid cans. Then they became impossible to find. Last I knew of, Wedco was still making the old Rubbermaid design and selling them under the Briggs & Stratton name. Wedco makes two kinds for Briggs, so there is no guarantee you will find the one I am referring to. I found a few three years ago and never found them again.

It has to do with certain states not allowing the vented cans to be sold. I think it is 5 states that have to have the CARB certified models. There will be more in the future. And guess what...someone will figure out how to make a ventless work great. But for now, that thing Blitz sells makes up the majority of gas can sales.

When my last Briggs can gave out, I bought a No-Spill for the 2 cycle stuff. I like it. It works good for that purpose. Sure beats trying to fill a little opening with a Blitz ventless :dizzy:

Here is the No-Spill. http://www.no-spill.com/classiccans.htm

3. JMB

JMB LawnSite Member
    from Texas

The best ones that I have found are at the John Deere dealer. They are made for diesel (blue) but work just as well for gas. They are very thick. You can drop a full one off the back of the truck and it wont bust. They have large nozzles and screw on vent caps. I usually adjust the vent to get the amount of fuel flow that I want.

4. JMB

JMB LawnSite Member
    from Texas

The best ones that I have found are at the John Deere dealer. They are made for diesel (blue) but work just as well for gas. They are very thick. You can drop a full one off the back of the truck and it wont bust. They have large nozzles and screw on vent caps. I usually adjust the vent to get the amount of fuel flow that I want.

5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Agreed.

I'm tired of swapping out yellow caps from my stationary cans to the ones that go on the truck.
    Doesn't pour when you think it will, then flows like crazy when you're ready to stop.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I can't seem to find ventless gas cans either. I've been picking them up at yard sales, because I don't like waiting 5 minutes to pour to gallons. I've thought about making my own vent, but I haven't done it yet.

I agree on the blitz cans. I've already lost two of the yellow caps.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Simple solution...

Take your 'ventless' gas can and poke a small airhole on the opposite end. You now have a 'vented' gas can. Works great for filling the 5 and 10 gallon tanks on our mowers.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have lost the yellow tops also and here is a good replacement. Go to a heavy truck parts store or NAPA or carquest. What I put on mine is a rubber plug that is made for the hub caps on the oil filled hubs on a semi trailer. It fits fairly snug and stays on good, just carry your nozzle with you so you can size it.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I hate those cans!! Now i just put 1in less in each can when i fill them up. Then i can pour stright out of the can with no nozzle. It works for me.

Matt

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I put a small hole under the handle to speed things up