Gas cans

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by logan, Oct 30, 2005.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I just picked up my new trailer last week. It is an enclosed one with line-x on the floor. I would like to put my 5 gallon gas can on the floor in the front. I thought I would get a piece of 2x4 that was a little too long for the width, and jam it down to make a sort of rail on the floor to section off the front end from the rest of the trailer. Does any one else do that or have any other suggestions? The line-x is up the sides of the wall about 12 inches on all sides.
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like nice trailer, but i dont like putting gas cans in enclosed areas. you got pick up to pull it?
  3. JMB

JMB LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Wellscargo has a gas can holder that mounts on the tongue of the trailer.
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know if there is any truth to this but another contractor was saying that the DOT outlawed the plastic gas container and you need to buy the metal ones? anyone heard anything about it?
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I dont know about the DOT lawn and frankly if thats the law then I dont intend to comply.
    Take it from someone who has made many mistakes with configuring how things are stored in an enclosed trailer...the fewer things you
    "permanently" attach to the floor, the better. There will be times when you have different things like tarps, aerators along with machines, and other stuff that may not fit quite right because of things mounted to the floor.
    I dont want gas cans on the tongue for a couple of reasons that I wont go into here.
    Last year I bought a large plastic storage bin ( the big ones you can buy at walmart that are used to store xmas dec's and other stuff in). In it I have 2, 5 gal cans and I smaller 2 cycle can. They fit snugly, never tip over,the bin never moves, and the bin can be easily moved wherever in the trailer should you need to because of what you are hauling on a particular day. My trailer is vented at floor level and of course at the roof. This works very least for me.

whatever route you go, the fewer things you bolt to the floor, the better long term (we do have 6 tie down anchors bolted to the floor but they are along the walls and are almost flush with the floor and never cause a problem)
  6. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

i like the idea of the big plastic can on the floor. I don't wabt to penetrate the line-x flooring and defeat the purpose of the seal. I think that I will go look for a big, or 2 big, cans for the front floor. The trailer is 8x20x6.5, with 2 shelves built into the front section. I can put them under the shelves and still leave enough room for my mowers.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Note the important parts in Red

ยง392.51 Reserve fuel; Materials of trade.

Small amounts of fuel for the operation or maintenance of a commercial motor vehicle (including its auxiliary equipment) may be designated as materials of trade (see 49 CFR 171.8).

(a) The aggregate gross weight of all materials of trade on a motor vehicle may not exceed 200 kg (440 pounds).

(b) Packaging for gasoline must be made of metal or plastic and conform to requirements of 49 CFR Parts 171, 172, 173, and 178 or requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration contained in 29 CFR 1910.106.

(c) For Packing Group II (including gasoline), Packing Group III (including aviation fuel and fuel oil), or ORM-D, the material is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) or 30 L (8 gallons).

(d) For diesel fuel, the capacity of the package is limited to 450 L (119 gallons).

(e) A Division 2.1 material in a cylinder is limited to a gross weight of 100 kg (220 pounds). (A Division 2.1 material is a flammable gas, including liquefied petroleum gas, butane, propane, liquefied natural gas, and methane).

[33 FR 19732, Dec. 25, 1968, as amended at 60 FR 38747, July 28, 1995; 63 FR 33279, June 18, 1998].

49CFR 173

b) Packaging.
    (1) Packagings must be leak tight for liquids and gases, sift proof for solids, and be securely closed, secured against shifting, and protected against damage.
    (2) Each material must be packaged in the manufacturer's original packaging, or a packaging of equal or greater strength and integrity.
    (3) Outer packagings are not required for receptacles (e.g., cans and bottles) that are secured against shifting in cages, carts, bins, boxes or compartments.
    (4) For gasoline, a packaging must be made of metal or plastic and conform to the requirements of this subchapter or to the requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the Department of Labor contained in 29 CFR 1910.106(d)(2) or 1926.152(a)(1).

"General." Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used. Metal containers and portable tanks meeting the requirements of and containing products authorized by chapter I, title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (regulations issued by the Hazardous Materials Regulations Board, Department of Transportation), shall be deemed to be acceptable.

Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. Approved safety cans or Department of Transportation approved containers shall be used for the handling and use of flammable liquids in quantities of 5 gallons or less, except that this shall not apply to those flammable liquid materials which are highly viscid (extremely hard to pour), which may be used and handled in original shipping containers. For quantities of one gallon or less, the original container may be used, for storage, use and handling of flammable liquids.