gas cans.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Jul 19, 2001.

1. hey there everyone. i am finding that if i purchase a gas can, and keep it in the back of the truck. it falls over and spills gas all over the place. this is a big problem. especially if there are ropes in the bed. what is your favorite kind of gas can for regular, and 2 cycle. i normally keep it in the truck by the tailgate, because of hedge trimmers, or chain saws or whatever. i am lookin for something that has a very low center of gravity. but so far whatever i buy tips over.

2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Personally, I like Chilton cans. They come in 6 gallon for the bigger mowers and 2 gallon for the 2 cycle equipment. They never tip over for me and are very well balanced. Briggs and Stratton makes a can that has a 1 way valve in it that shuts off when you're done filling and stays closed when you're not filling so if it were to tip over, it wouldnt spill anything...in theory=) Anyway, either way, both cans will do you nicely. I highly recommend the Chilton cans!

3. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

We have always liked the Rubbermaid/Briggs & Straton/Gott gas can in the five and two gallon capacity. They never tip over, never bulge, and never leak. The cans are no longer produced under Rubbermaid but I have seen them as Briggs at a dealer here. These are by far my favorite of any we have used.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

How can gas spill all over if the lid is on the can?If your driving with open fuel containers you nuts.I like Rubbermaid 5 gallon,and 2.5 gallon cans the best.The little cap is easy to loose,but other than that they stay up pretty good,and are tough.The only ones we are supposed to be using are the 95 dollar DOT approved cans made out of steel.

5. i know the cans you are talkin about. however they are way too big for 2 cycle gas. the small ones with the small cap. i usually lose those things. as for the others, one i bought last year and ran it over one day with the truck. i have bought some other ones, square usually. not rounded off or anything. and they constantly spill. this other one, thin and tall, for 5 gal. used that, but had to jam it between the box and the side of the trailer. that went in there and another small one. never spilled. but i cant keep them on the trailer 24/7

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I found a round 5.5 gal can which fits perfectly in one of those square milk crates you "find" behind the local Stewarts. Now you couldnt tip that can if you wanted to, easy to carry, and built-in bumpers.

Eagle is the brand, I think.

7. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

Speaking of Gas Cans, I was wondering, what's the best kind of gas can to use (plastic or metal), and what's the safest way to fill them?

Just wondering.

:angel:

8. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

9. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Someone just stole my last Rubbermaid :angry: I can't find them anymore. Anyone know where to get them?