Gas cans???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Jan 29, 2003.

?

How do you carry extra fuel?

1. Plastic gas cans.

84 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. steel "Safety Cans".

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Fuel tank in the truck.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Mower tanks only.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Ma's extra cannin' jars.

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

What does everyone use to carry there extra gas. I have been using simple plastic cans. After reading some past threads on here I got ot thinking maybe I should go to the steal "safety cans"
    I just have always had a hard time pouring out of them without making a mess because most don't have a long spout. Also have you seen the price on these things:rolleyes: :eek:

I do see some with attached funnels that might work well. I really don't need to carry much every day just a gallon of mix and a couple gallons of regular.

I have also thought about a fuel tank in the truck or just keeping one at my shop or the mowers.
    My accountant informed me that in order to get the road tax refund from the state, I have to purchase the non-road fuel at least 40 gallons at a time.:mad:

So do I just get a 50 gal barrel to keep at the shop, or a bunch of cheap 5gal plastic cans to get 40 gal at a tome and two safety cans to carry on the trailer. Or just keep going with the plastic cans everyday?

I am just trying to get some opinions.

Thanks for the help

PS I will try to post a poll,

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I was at an auction a couple months ago and they had a 20 gallon gas tank, a hand crank siphon all monted on a couple of wheels. It sold for $40 and I regret not buying it. That would of been sweet to have to fill up my mower before heading out for the day and would of saved garage space. They might make one for 40 gallons, but not sure if you could move it, unless it had 4 wheels on it. If not, buy 2 of them.

To be able to save this tax on the fuel, what do you do, just save the reciepts and report it at the end of the year for a write off or refund....how does that work?

Thanks
    MATT

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Lawsuits are bad news and I don't want to risk have an employee getting hurt but not having the OHSA approved containers. Metal safety cans for me only.

Gravely_Man

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt, that's what I have done ,I have all y fuel receipts and they are all separated in mower and truck fuel.

The state person we talked to from the state dept of revenue said that wasn't good enough. I have to purchase the off road fuel at least 40 gal or more at a time:confused: :mad:

I would rather not do it tis way. I don't want/need all that extra fuel sitting around. I only go through about 10-15 gallons a week. I am going to look into this rule some more and see if they really know what they are talking about.

I have looked at the potable fuel tanks but they are a lot of money. I'm going into this season with Zero reserves:cry:

5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We only use plastic gas cans.

Red-Regular gas
    Blue-2-stroke
    Yellow-Diesel

That system seems to of worked well for us. We've also painted the gas caps of each machine the same color as the can of gas that goes with it to try & avoid some costly mistakes!!

We've had the best luck with "Chilton" gas cans....we swear by them. Very heavy duty and don't run into many leaks whatsoever. We've had other cans in the past & no matter what you did they always seemed to leak when pouring.

:blob2:

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Paul J, so you are saying that you DO pay tax at the time of the purchase and then "settle" it up at the end of the year?

MATT

7. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We have a superlawn truck, so there are two tanks on the side of it..one for gas and other for mix. Work like a charm. Only downside is if you run out of gas down the hill from the truck..DOH. sure pays to check the gas level before working.

8. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

ProTurf,
    The use of different colored fuel tanks is an outstanding idea especially coupled with the matching painted fuel caps.

I have seen fuel tanks on wheels that hold quite a bit. They were also quite pricey.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use plastic cans. We all should use those D.O.T. cans, but they are very pricey.

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy them then you will not get in trouble. :p

If you want a good gas can I would say get some blitz gas cans with a pump but, don't geta a petro pump I had one and it broke within less than a year.:mad: If you really want to get a tank; just go over to northern tool :www.northerntool.com and get one of those 30 gal tanks with pump. good luck.:)