1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gas coming out of muffler exhaust

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by danfu, Feb 8, 2014.

1. danfu

danfu LawnSite Member

Well...it has been a while...but I need your help again.

Toro Z master 255 model 74208, 1998, Kohler 25hp engine.

To begin with the muffler kind of corroded to the point it wasn't connected.

Now, gasoline is spitting out of the exhaust ports on one side of the engine. Of course it did catch on fire...that is how I discovered the problem...

I removed the cylinder head in question and have it sitting in front of me here on my desk.
    On the inside of the cylinder head, on the back of one of the rocker arms is a lot of black residue....it is probably about a 1/16th of an inch thick. I'm guessing this has something to do with it. Should I just take the rocker arms out, clean them up, and put the whole thing back together with new gaskets or is there something more sinister involved. I'm not really a mechanic but it looks like the only way gas could escape into the exhaust is if there is something amiss with one of the rocker arms. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can clean the head up and put it back on, But..... You took it off for no reason, Your issue is the carburetor...... Float needle valve inside to be exact, Get a carb rebuild kit, Clean the carb up well and install the kit.

You can go to Kohler's website and down-load the service manual for your engine, Use it to re-install the head and rebuild the carb.

Check the oil for fuel contamination and change it before re-starting.....

3. danfu

danfu LawnSite Member

Just a note: Rocker arms may not be the correct 'word' but it is the spring-action mechanism I am talking about. There must be a way to take those out. Is it necessary to take them out?

4. danfu

danfu LawnSite Member

Of course! That's usually the way it goes when I am clueless about something...but...I get a huge pat on the back anyway for taking the cylinder head off because...that was not an easy thing to do....:weightlifter:

Thank you so much Restrorob...:drinkup:

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

NO..... Clean what you can and re-install.....

6. danfu

danfu LawnSite Member

I kind of already figured that one out...lol...but thanks again for your advise...

....after attempting to utilize a huge C clamp I had...and a board...and ....never mind.....

7. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Hold off that pat until you correctly reinstall it. Also install an easily accessible fuel shut off to use when in transport on the trailer
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

They make special tools to do this. C clamps and boards aren't part of any head rebuild kit I know of. But then I guess guys don't learn if a valve keeper doesn't fall off, the spring ricochets off the wall and hits you tween the eyes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. danfu

danfu LawnSite Member

Hey, I may be dumb but i'm not that....wait a minute...hang on...hmmm....yes I am...thanks...I won't do that again....fortunately I lost interest early on...

10. danfu

danfu LawnSite Member

You mean like the time I replaced the back axle on my Ford LTD ...all by myself...sat down by the tree, patted my self on the shoulder...looked over and saw both springs sitting by the tree? Yeah...