Gas coming out of the exhaust?? Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RB, May 15, 2002.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I just put a new exhaust on my 21" commercial duty lawnboy. (fyi - I ran it for a day w/o an exhaust). I noticed at the end of the day today when I turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes when I try to restart it gas will spit out of the exhaust until it starts.

What is this problem??? I have an idea it must be some type of gasket blown?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

The carb may have some dirt in it. Or the needle is not seating properly. I would clean the carb and check the needle and seat first.

3. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Sounds like a bad float.

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the needle and seat in carburetor is leaking. Could be due to a bad float or dirt in the gas.:) ;) :) ED

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a little confused here....Exhaust exiting under deck or out front?

Its kinda normal to have a wet muffler when its the underside type, but is it RAW gas? Then you have a carb problem.

Try this....Start it up, then turn fuel shutoff to ....OFF and let stop on its own. Check to see if your gas problem stops. If it does, its your carb. Not sure if they use a needle and seat or not??? Never had one apart.

Normally...(knock on wood!) Lawnboys are one of the most trouble free mowers out there. I know of a LOT of old Lawnboys still cutting with nothing other than an occaisional spark plug replaced.

6. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

Someone on the site is probably smarter than me, but if it is a problem with your carb; do not mess with it unless you know what you are doing. If it is a needle etc... they are a booger to fool with. I messed with mine once and it cost me $150 in labor to have a mech fix it because I messed with it. He said the problem could have been fixed easy if I had not touched it. Be careful!

7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx guys!

RB

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

wattsup is right; if you're not mechanically challenged at all, and I mean, AT ALL, leave it alone! I mow for a guy who works on small engines (and taught me everything I know about them, now I can rebuild them and fix them, etc.) and this is kinda funny, but we figured what he charged customers per hour to repair stuff ($30) and what I'm making using his equipment at his house (he doesn't care what I use, but it's too far to drive the trailer and van with a V8 gas guzzler, so it's about twice as economical gaswise to drive car down anyway) so i'm making about $6/hour mowing, but about $8.50 doing shop work , repairs etc. Well, I figured he's making about $75 or even more just for having me mow because how long it takes and it would take so much of his time. It may end up being the same with you; cheaper to have a repairman fix your mower than for you to screw around with it uselessly when you could be making money mowing! I'm not gonna try to tell you what is wrong with it because I have not had to work on LawnBoys yet (I guess they're that good!). I have worked on a push mower that had a stuck float (was really dirty) that did this, it too had a through deck exhaust.
    Good luck,
    Eric