1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas containers - Here we go again.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by hdtvluvr, Jul 18, 2008.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

July 18, 2008
    Release #08-334

CPSC Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contacts: (301) 504-7908

New Federal Law Mandates Child Resistant Portable Gasoline Containers

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Children and gasoline don't mix. With the passage of the Children's Gasoline Burn Prevention Act, an additional layer of fire safety and burn protection has been added for families across the country.

President George W. Bush signed the Act into law which requires portable gasoline containers manufactured for sale in the U.S. on or after January 17, 2009 to conform to child resistance safety requirements.

Gasoline containers will join containers with other flammable liquids, such as turpentine, charcoal lighter fluid, and torch fuel that are required to have child resistant closures. CPSC has jurisdiction over child resistant product packaging.

"Families who purchase gasoline cans with child resistant gas caps and who keep all flammable liquids out of the sight and reach of children are improving the safety of their homes," said CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord.

CPSC recommends these safety tips for consumers.

Buy a gasoline container that is child resistant.

Place a gasoline container in a well ventilated, cool area.

Never store gasoline or other fuel inside the house, in the basement, or near a fuel-burning appliance, open flames, pilot lights, stoves, heaters, electric mowers, or any other sources of ignition.

Never smoke near gasoline.

Never carry gasoline in the trunk of the car. Escaping vapors can easily ignite.

Keep gasoline, kerosene and other fuels out of the reach of children. Never permit children to play with matches or fuel.
  2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

what about the old cans?can you still use them?

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i dont really likr those new cans. it takes like 7-9 minutes to empty a 5 gal into the boat. they just dont work for me
  4. TheKingOfLawns

TheKingOfLawns LawnSite Member

And like with anything "Child Proof" it's the kids that can get it open in 2 seconds and adults who screw with it for a half hour.
  5. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

first they force those bs vented caps on us, now some new device ill be forced to spend 20 minutes breaking off my gas cans so that i can be semi-productive in the future
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I guess I need to go ahead and buy a safety can since some buttplug stole mine yesterday.
    Maybe fuel will come in bottles like pop in the future! Tony
  7. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

8. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to try those sometime, although they are a little on the expensive side. I still have a can that was before the self venting caps so i'm lucky there but on my self venting ones, i'm to the point on drilling a small holl on top/back to get air flow in to speed up the process.
  9. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

i have 3 of the 2gal and 2 of the 1/2gal old style vented cans. they are supper nice. there the ones with the little yellow cap on the back. i have seen quite a few at garage sales and auctions. gonna start grabbing them up. just clean them out good and your good to go.
  10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Aren't the ones with the latching caps supposed to be child resistant in the first place. Looks like self venting was a step backwards. And I've cut the latches off as they are a PITA.