1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas containers on trailers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfcare, Feb 8, 2003.

1. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

:) How do some of you tie down your gas containers (if you carry gas containers) to your open trailers? I was thinking about building a small open box to set the containers in.
  2. Before I had a pickup I used 2 x 10's and made a box on the trailer to hold them.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I just set them in the front left corner of my trailer. I have 2 eyebolts in the floor of the trailer, one on each side of the cans. I then run a cable through the handles of all the cans and put a lock on the end of the cable connecting to the eye bolts. The cable is just long enough to keep the cans held down tightly. Kinda hard to explain, it would be better if I had a picture.
  4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

When I purchased my gas cans I also purchased the optional tie down units.. Tie down is screwed to the trailer floor and a flexible strap loops over the can and attaches to the front of the tie down. nice and secure.
    Bob R
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I have gas can racks on both sides of my trailer. If you need a pic I can get one.
  6. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I have a box to hold hedge clippers baggers and gas cans.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

In this pic you can see my cans in the bottom right of the pic. There is a 2x4 bolted across the trailer. the cans and a couple blowers ride in front of the 2x4 with bungee straps over them.

Haven't lost one yet

8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i have an open box built and welded to my fender of my 16' trailer that is on the same side as my truck fuel tank is, the box holds 2 5 gal cans.
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've always just used bungee cords looped through the handles and attached so that it's snug. It can prevent their jumping out of a rack if you hit a big bump. I use metal safety cans with spring loaded lids, too.
  10. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

I have racks or brackets (whatever you want to call them) and it has a chain running thru it to stop some one stealing it