1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas estimate per yard, hour worked.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, May 9, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I was getting ready to sit down and come up with some numbers to see exactly how much i use per yard, and hour. I am Talking about 1 36" mower, 1 blower, and 1 weedeater. Anyone have any numbers?
  2. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

First question.. Why?

Second you will never get it done. For you can not mow a lawn today and then go back next week and expect the exact same conditions.

The grass may have grown 12" and your mower will be lugging and using more fuel than what it would if the grass only grew 1/2". It may be dry one week and wet the next.

You may be able to come up with an average of the amount of fuel used in one week or day after mowing for a month or so. But you will never get an accurate number for each yard.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Why? because it is a cost of doing business that you should know.

Look at your past gas station receipts. You should be able to average out how much you have used for mowing. You are not going to get a precise number, just an average.
  4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

if you keep your time in and out of each lawn that would help figure it out. I agree it would be hard to get a close number but no harm in figuring it out.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The only help I can give is the lazer and lazer HP's use about 2 gals per hour with 23 horse motors,have never tracked the walkbehinds because in my mind fuel usage on them and other 2 cycle equipment is inconsequencial to pricing.
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have averaged my fuel usage out, fairly closely under average conditions last year. I have found that my 2 cycle gas usage I will never keep track of because there just isnt enough of it there. My Hustler uses right around 1.25 to 1.5 gallons of gas per hour. I am building that into my pricing now as well as the fuel costs for driving to the property.
  7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Shorty, the most I have ever used on one lawn was a 1/4 gallon of fuel, that is on my largest lawn, so to make things easy on myself, I took that number and use it for all my lawns. So for example if a gallon of gas cost $2.00 this week ( that's not far off )
    each lawn fuel cost is .50 cents. this cuts down on alot of work and makes it alot easier to figure out expenses.
  8. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Yes gasoline is an expense that we must deal with.

But if you mow a 25' x75' yard, go down the street and mow a 200' x 200' yard and then accross town and mow a 50' x 150' yard. How in the world can you figure the amount of gasoline that 1 mower, 1 trimmer and 1 blower used to do each yard? Let alone try to figure the amount each piece of equipment used to do all of the yards you have.
  9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont forget your truck uses much more fuel than the other stuff to pull your equipment to the site, fetch parts & supplies, run estimates, ect :rolleyes:
  10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Well, you can fill up your tanks and keep track of the time you used them until the gas is all gone. It a simple concept. Now you know how much time it took to use the whole tank and you can go back and figure out how much of that tank you used at each lawn. Now you know a relative amount of fuel you will use for a certain sized property. This doesnt take itno account grass height or if you were using your equipment at 100% efficiency or not but it comes close to an accurate assesment.