Gas Fumes and Ford Transit Connect or any Van

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn_jockey, Jan 8, 2014.

1. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

I have been playing with the idea of switching out our Ford Rangers for the Ford Transit Connect.
    I know some of you think the vehicle is too small for lawn care. :hammerhead:blah blah blah.

The only question we are discussing is about gas fumes.

Two Questions:
    Will the enclosed Van have a horrible amount of gas fumes?
    Do you have any experience riding in a van with gas cans?

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I know guys who do this with skid sprayers mounted in the back of vans. Im not sure if they have any kind of special venting but ive seen quite a few of these setups so I imagine its not that bad.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They have sealed walls you can install
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive used a Chevy van, that was when gas cans were vented and I thought it was ok.

Id try to find a Chev Astro, what your talking will not stand up to commercial use.

5. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

We just use small 21 mowers. we do small city yards

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

You could install a plexiglass divider along with a grated 'headache rack' for dual protection. Besides fumes, there is a lot of dust to contend with.

Ford is introducing an improved line of Transit vans this coming Summer in a variety of lengths/heights as well as greater cargo capacities.

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/

In speaking with my plumber, he told me his current 4cyl Transit's deliver 26mpg's on avg. Pretty impressive.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i like valk's idea. maybe silicon around the edges for a tight seal or something along those lines.

8. Valk

Ford's new Transit lineup offers chassis cabs making for custom bed fabrications.
    Also, there's a variety of engines including a small 3.2 liter diesel, flex fuel and alt fuel capabilities.
    I can't confirm this, but a few of the pictures appear to suggest rear wheel drive...so good news for towing IFF true.

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ford Transits are FWD, light weight vans designed for Flower Delievery. The power train suspension and brakes are all extremely "WEEK". Not to mention they aren't very popular and will likely have extremely crappy resale.

10. Valk