Gas, Gas, Gas

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sgtgm5, Aug 31, 2005.

1. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Hello all,

Sometimes its ok to vent and I think this is one of those times. I have been in the green industry for about 5 years. I love what i do but with operating cost going up, I think its time for me too start looking for other employment. Now I know that gas is an expense that we all must endure, but this is getting out of control. Out of every dollor we spend we give the government 43.7 cents per gallon. Not only that but we pay taxes on all aspects of the business. How much can a small business owner endure.

When we raise our costs per job we get dropped for the $2.50 raise. I'm not saying that the customer is wrong because I'm always looking for a deal, but this is a disaster. I think it is time for some relief. Just like farmers are provided compensation, maybe we in this line of work should also. I'm not asking for a hand out but when a customers grass is over the city's code then they are threatened with a fine. If the govermennt can fine it's citizens then the people who are responsible for the services should have some operating compensation.

I am only venting and i know that fuel costs are somewhat minor, its that this is getting out of hand. Heck, if the city provides gas to its fleet to take care of the city, then maybe we should be offered fuel receipts because we do the same.