1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gas gouging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by human pez, Mar 14, 2008.

1. human pez

human pez LawnSite Member

How Is Everyone Dealing With The Outrageous Gas Prices ?are Your Customers Willing To Re-negotiate Contracts?really,how Bad Is It?

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

if they can't understand then the hell with them. Every where you go prices are up supermaket, k-mart, target but we the landscaper cant raise our price god forbid.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

human - just increase your price and be clear about what your new price is. You don't have to explain anything unless the customer asks you to.
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Most customers don't have any extra money to pay for a lawn increase thanks to the increase of there mortgages,gas,food etc there going to cut out the things they don't need and lawn service will be one of them.. Its sad but is true
  5. human pez

human pez LawnSite Member

Yeah, But I Know How Fickle People Are,and I Was Just Wondering If They Were Defaulting On Their Contracts.some Of My Friends Haven't Raised Their Rates In 5 Years,and When They Finally Did,their Customers Went With The Cut Throats.
  6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone of my customers will see a price increase. Most have accepted the increase, those that didnot commit yet are free to shop for a better price. I was going to try to market to some other areas but now I am all about having a tight route and reducing drive time. This will be a tough year and people not watching the bottom line will be dropping like flies. I was going to buy a bigger mower for the season, but decided against it, I will keep my cash in the bank, and use the mowers I already have. Besides,by mid summer should be some good deals on Craigs List from all of the bankrupt LCOs that need to unload there mowers.
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I disagree, but I think a lot of it has to do with the area you service. The majority of my customers simply dont have time. Some may complain more, but around here lawn maintenance isnt going to slow down. Now you may lose one here or there to another crew, but they still arent cutting it themselves. As for the ones that do decide to cut themselves I ask you to keep an eye on them. You will see that they arent saving that money, but instead spending it on wasteful items like above ground pools, trampolines, and ATVs. The economy isnt as bad as a lot make it seem. Sure, the prices of everything are up, and raises are down, but people are willing to enhance what they already have instead of just moving up nowadays. The fact that prices are up means we get to raise our prices, and that only means one thing: $$$
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta agree with this guy. My customers dont cut their lawn , dont repair their sprinkler systems and dont clean their own house. Their costs may be up but they work steady good paying jobs that give them an anual cola if nothing else.
  9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you know that in London they pay $9.60 a gallon?

That's about 3x more than we do.

I don't care if gas goes up even more (but not too much!)
    People will drive less, less pollution! People will walk more, less fat people! People will be forced to further develop non-fossil fuel power sources which means one day we'll have zero emission equipment that is as good and as powerful as the gas engines we use now. We can also justify higher prices for our work more easily.

At least that's the positve spin from me!
  10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Part of that is cause they have a different tax system. Unlike the USA they tax the rich. Driving is a privilege and only the people with money drive their little mini cars.