1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mcwlandscaping, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i am in the market for one of these, i really like the design of the stihl HS80 but want some outside opinion as i have never bought one of these before, please if you have something that you really like, please share what it is, i have stihl, redmax, husqvarna, and shindy available to me to let you know right up front,thanks
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a stihl HS-80 myself and it will literally cut through friggin TV cables that just happened to be draped in the shrubs :rolleyes: not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing hehe. I like the handle design how it adjusts 90 degrees in each direction. It will prune a regular shrub to perfection in no time! Only drawback is it is one heavy sob if used more than 20 minutes straight.
  3. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

i have the redmax chtz2500... awesome machine love it.. just make sure you keep greasing them or yuo find out the hardway
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

40" shindaiwa single sided hedge trimmers here. Slap on a custom debris scoop and the world of shrubs is at your mercy.
  5. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

any pics of this debris scoop?
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I share lawnmaniac's assessment of the HS80. I've used mine for 4-5 seasons -- good service, reliable, handle rotation a great feature. I disassemble the bar for cleanup, greasing of the transmission, and blade sharpening.

Oh yes, it is heavy. But, after much experience I've learned better how to use it for long periods of time, how to cut left-handed as well as right-handed, etc. I'm almost 65, so don't have the strength and stamina of you young guys -- I'm sure I don't get as much work out of it as some of the rest of you might.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We have been using Echo trimmers for years. I am not sure which type of trimmers you've looked at, but have you looked at the extended trimmers? Basically a grass string trimmer with the string head replaced with hedge trimmer blades? We have found that hedge trimming goes smoothest and quickest using both a "normal" trimmer and an extended trimmer. One of our Echo string trimmers is a "split boom" with replaceable heads, so we have grass trimmer, hedge trimmer, and blade edger heads for it. With the extended trimmers the great majority of trimming can be done without a ladder.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Tvov, thanks, i see what you mean by what you are saying and i will look into that....any of you guys know about how much the HS80 goes for $$ wise, i won't be able to make it to my stihl dealer today so i figured ide just ask you guys for an appoximate cost
  9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

10. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

I have the echo gas trimmer. After 3 jobs, your arms get a workout.