Gas Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimsLandscaping, Jul 20, 2001.

1. JimsLandscaping

JimsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a gas hedge trimmer I looked at a homelite and a echo but the echo was double the price:angry: is it worth the money are there any other brands you would suggest:confused:

Thanks

Jim

2. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

Homelites are pure rubbish.

I personally had super good experiance with Shindawa or Stihl. Never liked Echo very much, but maybe their quality increased in recent years. They used to be pretty bad. (10years ago)

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

RedMax.

I bought a CHT2200 last weekend and used them a lot this week.

FANTASTIC! :D

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's double the price for a reason, you get what you pay for. If you are seriously into this business, then I would buy nothing but commerical equipment. You will be better off in the long run. As far as brands, opinions will vary here. I personally use Echo, but there are other very good commerical units out there that I'm sure are just as good. Good luck.

5. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

I would stay away from the Homelite. We have had an old Echo and Redmax for many years. The Echo is a little heavy but works well. We do not have a STihl but have used one. I am sure other commercial units are good but we have had no expeience with them.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't think I have ever seen a homelite trimmer so I can't advise.

I do, however, like my homelite straight shaft trimmer for the light commercial work that I mostly do.

I use the echo hc-1500 trimmer and it does an excelent job. it needs sharpening now and I keep putting it off because it seems like a big job to do it. good luck.

GEO

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with SLS on this one. Go Redmax!!! Ran an Echo HC1500 before I bought the Redmax. The Redmax is just simply a better unit, starts easier, runs better, cuts cleaner and the best part is that they are lighter, so I don't feel as worn out at the end of the day. The Homelite is a cheap unit and only has a single recipocating blade doing the cutting. Redmax & Echo have double recipocating blades and cut a lot cleaner. Even if you don't do much hedge trimming now I'd still go w/ a commercial duty unit. They will last a long time, my Echo had been used 10 seasons before I retired them to a back-up unit. :) ED

8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the echo, not the homelite. I have the homelite. I needed it ASAP, and didnt have enough cash for a real one. Mistake. It cuts, thats all i can say about it. Its rough, slow, underpowered, hmm.. what else? Its worth the extra 100-150 to get a real machine, because I will be replacing this hunk o junk before the fall.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have an Echo and it is good. But I had a john deere that was stolen and it was a great machine but at one point the whole thing vibrated apart LOL. But while it ran it had a very clean and powerful cut. But echo will do if you dont have a JD or a redmax dealor nearby.
    But please --homelite is a nasty word to say on a commercial forum. haha

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

[roscioli]

When I started money was also a problem. The commerecial units cost soo much more, so I bought a weedeater from wally world.
    I used it the first couple months, then I started to get a lot of trimming referals and the weedeater didn`t " cut the mustard". I noticed that there was no power. They don`t hold up to the use that a lco using it all the time. I had to see what the commerecial unit would do, so I rented one for a day. WOW, what a difference, so much more power, smooth cutting, perfectly trimmed bushes every time. I got a stihl hs85 my second year and I have been using it for 5 years now. DEFINETLY GO COMMERECIAL, you will never regret the purchase. :D