Gas in the oil

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by deer66, Aug 3, 2005.

1. deer66

deer66 LawnSite Member

Fastrak with 18 HP honda 44 inch deck .
    Bought last August and has 30 hours on it .

I changed my oil the other day and noticed it kind of looked a little thin , didn't think anything about until I took my oil filter off , and the oil filter smelled like it had gas in it . So I finished changing the oil and oil filter and went ahead and mowed for about 1 hour . I stopped and let it set for a while and then pulled the dip stick out and smelled of the oil and it also now has a hint of gas smell .

I loaded it up on my trailer and hauled it to my dealer ( by the way 40 miles away ) My dealer keeps it all day and when I go to pick it up he said that he talked to the service rep and this has never happened and for me to turn the gas valve off when the unit is not running . Needless to say I don't care for this answer . I have never had a lawn mower that you had to turn the gas valve off . He said to try that is see if it fixes it .

My main concern here is that it is the end of the mowing season here ( 100 degrees in the shade nothing growing ) . I am worried that my warranty is going to run out on the motor before I can convince them there is something wrong with the motor .

Thank You

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You have documented there is a problem, talk to your dealer and make sure he knows your still having the problem and that you are not happy with his suggestion.
    When does your warranty run out?

Pj

3. deer66

deer66 LawnSite Member

I bought the mower 07/27/04 . Is the Honda motor warranty different from the mower ?

Thanks

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Honda engine has a 2 year warranty.
    Your mower has a 2 year warranty.
    Your under warranty until 7/27/06

Pj

5. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Please check your spark plugs too see if either of them are fowled. This could account for fuel in the oil. Also, inspect the vent tube the runs from the carburetor to the base of the engine, if it is melted or otherwise plugged an excessive fueling condition can be expected.

Did you measure the amount of oil drained from the engine? If so please advise this amount.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor: Kansas and Missouri

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Jim, you are the man!
    I removed my non-expert opinion from my earlier post.
    Jim is the Honda expert, take a look at what he mentions in his post.

Pj