gas leak on gx160

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FL&G, Mar 5, 2005.

1. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

I went through my dethatcher today, changed the oil, greased everything, reversed the teeth on the flail, new air filter, new plug. Fired up on the third pull but I noticed a gas leak. Gas is dripping off the bowl. Not real sure where from. It was stored in an unheated garage could the seals or gaskets cracked in the carb?
    Any help would be appreciated the machine only has app. 75 hrs. on it.
    (Honda gx 160)

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds like a pretty new motor, honda has a 1 year warranty as long as it 's not caused by bad gas. also, i think every honda engine has a bowl drain for winterizing, are you sure its closed tight?

3. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

I looked at it this morning in better light and I see its leaking both at the sediment res. and where the bowl meets the base of the carb. I know there is an o - ring on the sediment res. is there one at the bowl?
    I don't have the parts list and there isn't one there.
    Everything is tight.
    Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

honda is big on the use of o ring type gaskets, I would say there is but i'm not 100% sure, maybe some others could help out here. any takers out there??

5. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

Turns out that the needle valve was stuck open letting too much gas into the bowl. I pulled it out and cleaned it. So far no leaks.