Gas leaking from carbeurator???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, Oct 18, 2004.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Bit of a dilema. Today, I decided to see how my old blower was running. It is a 1986 Mighty Mac WB leaf blower with a 8 HP Briggs engine on it (orig. engine). Anyway, I took it out, opened the fuel valve and pulled the starter cord a few times. I then noticed that gas was leaking out of the carb. at a pretty good rate. I took off the air filter cover to find that the tube going to the carb. from the air filter was 1/2 filled with gas. I shut off the fuel valve, and put it back in my shed. It is now barely leaking out. What is causeing this? Can it be fixed? I bought a new Little Wonder blower last year, and this is just my backup machine. Can someone please tell me why this is happening? Is there an easy fix? Note: this has not been running since last fall, and last year I drained the carb.

vipermanz likes this.
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the needle 'n seat is gummed up, need to take the bowl off, and clean everything up. Happens when you store engines, with out the treated gas. It's no big deal :)

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

'86 still might have had a brass float. If the soldered seam leaks the float will not work properly and the engine will flood like you mentioned. Nonetheless, it sounds needle/seat realted.

4. The Doctor

The Doctor LawnSite Member
    from Troy,AL

There are several things that can cause this problem:

1-hole in the bowl due water being left in it
    2-dried up gas on the needle and seat
    3-leaking bowl gasket
    4-hole in the float
    5-trash of some kind on the needle and seat

If this unit was running fine when and did not have this problem when it was used last, chances are the gas residue left on the parts from being drained has dried up and will not allow the needle and seat to properly seal. The only way to correctly fix this problem is to take the carb off, dissamble it and clean it. Most likely will not require any new parts, just clean the old ones and reassemble. If you can find a place that sells Production Car Care products, buy some Red Power from them and use it to clean all the parts. This stuff is the only thing I've ever seen that comes in a spray can or in a bottle (it comes in a bottle or gallon jug and will require a hand pump spray bottle of some sort) you can spray on carbs and will eat the gas varnish off immediately with no wait time. If you like, you can give me a call and I'll be glad to walk you through it over the phone.

Allen
    334-808-4262 day
    334-566-6117 night