Gas leaking into oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gem, Apr 4, 2005.

1. gem

gem LawnSite Member

After watching and learning so much ftrom this site , I finally decided to post.
    I have a Ferris IS 3000 61" deck and the Kawasaki 25 horse engine. Last fall it was leaking gas into the crankcase. I took it to the dealer and they basically had it all winter and replaced the carburetor under warranty. I picked it up last week, drove it from their garage onto my trailer and off my trailer into my garage. Was planning on using it today, checked the oil and there was gas in it again. Anyone else ever have this problem or have any insights? Oh, the machine was new last year and only has 232 hours on it!
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Curious how you found that gas was leaking into the crankcase? Does the unit start and run okay? Could this problem be occuring when you transport? Try turning off the gas while in transit.
  3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

there is only one way gas can get into the oil,,,,,and thats going past the rings on the piston!
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

are you sure they changed the oil after the carb fix or is it left over from last year ?
  5. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

I have seen fuel leaking by the fuel pump seal and into the crankcase. :eek:

But mostly on diesel engines, gasoline …very rare, still if it is physically attached to the engine and runs off a cam on the engine block…it maybe worth a look. :help:

Perhaps someone more familiar with the particulars on this engine can shed more light into this… :dizzy:

Hope that helps! :drinkup:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

EC-Rider :waving::
  6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe on that engine.. but on something like a Briggs vertical L head, if the float is no longer functioning, the fuel can/will leak past the carb. into the intake tube and into the engine. Though I suppose it could take your path somehow.
  7. gem

gem LawnSite Member

Yes, it starts and runs fine. I discovered the gas in the crankcase originally because I check the oil before every start-up and one morning the level was very high on the dipstick and the oil was black and thin and smelled like gas. The dealer told me they changed the oil and filter. They also told me this is a common occurrence on Kawasakis.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

OK...not equipment related but...We have a 1958 Volkswagon 3/4 ton pickup where the gas is leaking into the oil pan...any suggestons as to why?
  9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

My 23 hp Kawasaki does the same thing (gas in crankcase), turning the fuel petcock to off when loading the trailer at the end of the mowing day solved the problem.

10. gem

gem LawnSite Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try, but I have my doubts that this is the cause. I ran the mower from May to October before this happened. Seems like it would have done this sooner if that was the cause.