gas leaking through muffler??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 13, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

walk past my truck and smelled gas today. but not truck gas, an oil mix. so i looked at my mowers and noticed one of my lawnboys had a trickle of gas coming out of the front of the muffler, puddle on the deck, then a puddle in the truck. i tilted it forward to see if my fuel lines came loose, and gas poured out of the muffler. why and how the hell did that happen??? i let it drain out, then tried statring it. it took a few pulls, but started. any ideas on what this could be?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

You probabably have dirt between or a bad needle and seat so gas is running past it.

3. fga

so what do you think? i could just blow the carb out with the compressor, or car cleaner, or do i have to put something in the tank?

doesn't sound like a big deal, right?

4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

turn the gas off when not in use
    i quit using lawn boy last year

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Disasemble the carb, spray bowl and fuel passages with carb cleaner [remove rubber parts first] and then blow out with compressed air. If that does not cure [usually does ] replace the needle and seat assbly. Also check tank to and gas cans for dirt or grass so you don't keep having to do this.

6. cincymower

cincymower LawnSite Member

Just happened to me, was a bad float in the carb. Fix that, also smell your oil, if it smells of gas it must be changed. I had to take out the spark plug and pull the starter cord several times to spit gas out of the engine as well before starting it again.

It taught me to always use the gas cut-off valve when not using the mower.

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you take the float out of the carb, shake it and feel and listen for ANY fuel inside it. if there is, it's trashed. it won't float right, won't let the needle close to shut off fuel when the bowl is full. but do 2 stroke lawnboys have floats or just diaphrams?

8. fga

good question. never had a carb problem in 6 years!! so this is new to me.