1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas Leaks through Gas Cap Vent Hole

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by wwjam, Apr 25, 2003.

1. wwjam

wwjam LawnSite Member
    from NJ

For some reason gas leaks through the vent holes and flows all over the outside of the tanks on both of my large neck gas caps when the tank is at least half full. Both caps are screwed down tight on the tanks and the gas is splashing up through the center vent hole.

It's kinda of a pain having to run tanks at less than half full.

Is there a redesigned cap available from Exmark?

Thanks in advance,

2002 LazerZ 60"
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post. I talked to engineering and they are still looking at several different caps but nothing that is substantially better or ready for market. I'm sure they'll find something that works it's just a matter of when.

3. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We have the same problem. We leave the gas down several inches. Does help a little. But we mow on some very hilly places. Choke cleaner will clean it up a bit.
  4. wwjam

wwjam LawnSite Member
    from NJ

OK. Thanks Terry!
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What was wrong with the small caps? I have no problems with them.

Only in a few very overfilled situations do I get a weepy vent hole. Never enough to wet the outside of the tanks though.

I would see no real benefit of a larger gas cap? Do some people have bad aim?
  6. wwjam

wwjam LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I really like the large necks. Makes it very easy to get the nozzle in the tank when trying to lift and manage a full 5 gallon gas container.

Redesigning the cap should be pretty easy. Just need an internal splash guard on the underside of the cap. Of course would probably mean scrapping the existing cap mold tools, which ain't cheap.