Gas Line Trimmers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Beale, May 30, 2002.

1. Beale

Beale LawnSite Member

Thanks in advance to all who reply to this post. I am a homeowner with 2/3 acre and am looking at buying a new line trimmer soon. Have looked at Stihl FS 55R and FS 80R, Echo SRM-2100, and SRM-2400, and last Shindaiwa T230 and Homepro 22T.
    Of these trimmers which do you think will be my best bet. I am trying to stay in the $200.00-$250.00 range. Also may look at split boom versions of above trimmers for mutiple uses. May also need to use a blade once in a while. Thanks for the help.
    Beale

2. lschultz

lschultz LawnSite Member

I got a Echo SRM 2400 had it for about 13 yrs and its still going strong.And I have trimmed a lot of grass,weeds,limbs.Still starts easy.But when it comes time to replace I think I will get a Stihl.I've heard good about the Shindawia too.I've heard too that Echo doesn't made as good of product as they did 10 yrs ago.I heard this from my tractor dealer(years ago he sold Echo but now he sells Stihl).

Don't know anything about the other one.

3. Beale

Beale LawnSite Member

Ischultz,
    Thanks for the reply, I like them all. Am leaning towards the Stihl, because my local dealer seems to favor them. Probably was not very clear on that homepro unit, it is Shindaiwas home use unit.
    But any how thanks again. Beale

4. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

IMHO, Stihl or don't bother. Have had my FS-66 for 15 + years.

5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a Shin 230 last year and this year purchased a split boom Stihl. I'm using them both. Both are powerful and very reliable.

At first, I had trouble starting the Stihl, but I have the routine down now.

You can't go wrong with either one.

6. Beale

Beale LawnSite Member

Thank you to all who have replied to my question on trimmers. Glad to see that the Stihl is liked and good quality. Hope to look at both FS55RT(homeowner series), and the FS83RT, or 85RT soon. Have decided to go with a split boom version for mutiple capablities. Thanks again. Beale

7. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for this thread. I just came back in the house ten minutes ago from going to use my trimmer. Wouldn't start yesterday, so I let it sit till today to try again. It started, but won't stay running. Just sputters and dies.

Homelite Trimlite. I use it maybe an hour every two weeks. Bought it last year and has at the most 10 hours on it. Didn't run very well, then, either. What a piece of junk!!! I knew better, too, that's the worst part.

Anyway, I was going to ask for recommendations for a trimmer. Funny how the first thread in the Homeowner section was asking about the same thing. Thanks, I'll be looking at a Shindaiwa next Friday and Stihl if they have a booth set up at the St Louis Expo.

8. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I use Stihl and it's great but Shin, Echo, Red Max are all good as well.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have 2 Shindaiwa T-230's and love them. Bought them last year for about $229 each on sale (I think that was the price).

Satisfied Shin customer.

10. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a little bigger Stihl Weed Trimmer. I think it is the 80 model? Costs about $430 retail. Does anyone have a recomendation where I can get a cheeper price on Stihl products?

Thank you,

Bob