Gas Mask

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, Jan 20, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

As weather allows, we are still in the leaf cleanup stage. Many jobs waiting on the weather. Leaves are the only thing that give my sinus' a fit. For all the dust I wear a dust mask. But I also wear contacts, and all that dust in the air from leaves ends up in my eyes. I spend the next 2 days digging leaf dust from my eyes. So, I was thinking, (from my military days) what about a gas mask to cover my eyes and mouth with. It may look funny, but when your out this time of year you have all those clothes and coveralls on and funny looking hats to stop the wind anyway.

So what do you think?
  2. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

I would say one thing, the potential clients in your area should be impressed. After all you would be ready to provide their lawn maintenance for them even in the event of gas attack. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously though, I know what you mean about the dust. I have some pretty nasty allergies myself, and you look for relief anywhere you can find it.

You might consider this too, getting a set of sport goggles. Kind of like what the basketball players wear or ones like race drivers. I know where I used to work we had a lot of spot welding operations, and most people hated the regular safety glasses. I found some of these style goggles at the Wal-Mart Eye Center. If I remember they were around $65 a set. That was about 8 to 10 yrs ago. I am not even sure if they still carry them, but it is another idea for you to think about.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. I invest the $100 for them because they wrap around my eyes rather tightly and minimize the dust and debris into them.

Its better I feel to have prescription sunglasses I can use rather than replenishing a rather costly supply of contact lenses.

Hope this helps.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A skin diving mask will keep the dirt out! Of course you'll lok like some eccentric, but who cares.
  5. Without spending too much more money than what you have done, get a good pair of goggles that are used for pesticide apps. Most of the good ones don't fog up. This is the set up I use when wearing a respirator. Goggles go for around $25.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hoss--this is simple: there are times to wear contacs, and there are times not to.

don't wear them on the days you are going to be in the dust.

7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

you can buy prescription goggles,they make them for can get them in clear or tinted.last timei checked i think they were $80.or you can get the goggles that fit over your glasses.
  8. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I wore contacts once when doing spring cleanups. Never again!!! I was pulling gunk out of my eyes for days.

9. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I once saw this customer of mine walking around town in a gas mask because she is always having allergy problems. I know her issues, but the rest of the people watching her must have thought she was just a bit strange.