1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Milage for Newer 1500 and 2500 trucks 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by abullin33, Feb 7, 2013.

1. abullin33

abullin33 LawnSite Member

Anyone have any figures for newer Gas trucks mpg pulling loaded trailers? Thinking of getting a new truck if the fuel milage was substantial. I get 10.5 right now in a '99 7.3 powerstroke diesel. Trying to get away from the diesel.

2. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

Have you tried Google ?

3. abullin33

yes I have, thanks for your help

4. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

You are welcome..but your question is very vague are you talking about a 5x8 trailer loaded or a 52ft goose neck open or enclosed trailer loaded with what? ...ad some details you might get more help...a gas motor pulling anything will be crap on mileage and have no power compared to a diesel...

5. abullin33

I haul a 16ft tandem axel loaded with 2 zero turns. About 4000lbs including trailer. I saw the new hybrid trucks were rated at 22mpg average. My diesel sucks. I get the same milage with an older chevy gas motor as I do the diesel and gas is always cheaper.

6. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Pulling a trailer is always going to hurt your mileage, especially in gas trucks. Thats why the truck guys always ask why you need a diesel... you pulling something? The diesel will do better for pulling something. Those new trucks are rated at 22 mpg because that is what they got driving 55mph down the highway for 300 miles with the cruise control on. Youre never going to get that even with normal highway driving. I bet you could get 20 mpg with nothing in it if you were driving nice. But In the city I bet it gets 16 at the most. Pulling a trailer you're probably getting in the 15 range or maybe even lower. How many miles are on your truck? Have you made any modifications to help it gas mileage wise? i.e: Chip, bigger exhaust, cold air intake?

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

7. abullin33

The hybrids claim over 20 in the city and 23 on highway I think. I know I am not going to get near that amount but if I got 14mpg I woulod save 3K+ per year in fuel. My diesel is old. Its a 99 and has 250k miles on it. I've never done anything to it. I dont want to sink a lot of money into a truck thats that old with that many miles.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31855

20 city, 23 highway, I know that prob a little fudged but still

8. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah the whole hybrid truck thing is kinda weird I guess because it kinda defeats the purpose of what a truck is used for. But yeah I guess with that many miles on your current truck it doesn't make much sense to do much to it. I would probably just try to sell it and find a mid 2000s half or 3/4 ton gas truck if thats what you really want. That way you'll at least get the towing power. But you probably won't see that great of mileage anyways pulling the trailer. But what do I know.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

9. abullin33

thanks for the input. I guess I'm still doomed to shitty fuel milage just like everyone else :)

10. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

I will never go back to gas for pulling diesel has power if you are towing or not and a diesel is made for towing/work period...you also have to take into account is your truck paid for a 99 I hope so if that is the case no payments a new tuck you might save a few bucks on gas price but now you are making a payment every month ...or are you just paying cash for it ?