1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gas milage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cutbetterthanyou, Oct 6, 2007.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering what kind of mileage some of you guys consistently get with your gas motors. I am thinking of next year getting a new one ton dump. I will be pulling 3 lazers on a 22 foot trailer totaling about 7500 pounds. I am leaning toward a gas motor; chevy or ford (maybe a cab over but probably not)is undecided.
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

expect around 4-5mpg 6 if your lucky
  3. justmow&trim

justmow&trim LawnSite Member

I have an old 1996 gmc with 6.5 torbo, by itself or towing 14mpg, on highway about 17, has 4.10 rears great for pulling, not for mileage. greg
  4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Really! I know it is not towing but the window sticker on the 6.0 gmc said 15-20. I know its not great on older gas enigines, but is it really that bad on newer fuel injected ones?
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

well a V-10 ford excursion(3/4 ton) pulling a 16 foot livestock trailer loaded down with 25-30 sheep (figure around 8,000lbs including trailer) gets around 11mpg.
  6. P.Services

i have a 360 dodge and get 5mpg no joke, thats the whole reason why i am looking to get a diesel dump next year, if i were you i would go with a used diesel over a new gas. that gasser is gona have to work to get that train up and moving and pull hard the hole time to keep it up to speed, that all burns gas. for some reason i was thinking you were talking about an older gas truck so yes it may be a little better but not by much.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see it, my 5.9L magnum does have some issues with the EGR and I'm sure this affects mileage to a point, but I get 10-11 towing a 6x12 with my 3/4 ton... Now I do think it should get 12-14 and maybe 16, maybe, like on the highway, have to keep it out of O/D and 55 the whole way.

Once I ease up on the throttle which I'm finally being able to do I should be able to see 12-14, but much more you're not getting towing a trailer with a 6 liter gas, even empty it's 17-22 at best (more like 15-19), highway... You might get 24-25 taking it real easy, but that's empty, highway, 55...
  8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

We get about 11 mpg in a 5.4l V8 excursion, just driving the kids around in it.

I see these fuel economy posts all the time and they never seem to relate to the numbers I see; then again, when it is 90 and humid even in October, we're still running A/C constantly. Maybe some of you guys getting 20+ mpg aren't using / don't need A/C? I don't think we hit much over 15 mpg in the Excursion even driving a steady 80 mph all the way down to the beach over Labor Day weekend.
  9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

the excursion weighs A LOT, that V-10 works a little easier when driving, and when towing. the bad part is, that the V10 always get that 11 MPG, while towing or not.
  10. P.Services

towing a 6'x12' is alot diffrent then pulling my 20' enclosed that weighs 8,000lbs, so if you get 10mpg out of yours pulling that trailer, then 5-7 mpg will apply to his dually dump pulling three laser.