Gas Mileage and Ethanol

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jwynncmi, Jul 9, 2008.

1. jwynncmi

jwynncmi LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys noticed if the ethanol mixed gasoline has caused you have to refill more often? Mostly in 2-cycle equipment. If this has been covered please forgive.

2. JKUCSMA

JKUCSMA LawnSite Member
    Male, from OHIO

Yes,Ethanol is a joke,less mileage in cars,and more fillups in lawn equipment,Marathon is Ethanol free I think,we have a couple stations around here that sell pure gas,about 2 more mpg.,same price.

3. kogafortwo

kogafortwo LawnSite Member

Ethanol has only about 70% of the energy density of gasoline. In simple terms that means YES, you will have worse mileage with ethanol mixes. The higher the ethanol content in the fuel, the worse the mileage. Even worse, ethanol is not as well specified and controlled as gasoline, and there are known problems in the field with fuel systems getting mysterious deposits and clogging, and there are known cases of having SULFURIC ACID ( !! ) in the ethanol mix which is leftover from the process of water removal.

Finally, ethanol has more aging problems than pure gas, so make sure to use up your fuel and not let it sit. A little Sta-Bil is a good idea in any case. Stihl's 2-stroke mixes have fuel preservatives in them and should do OK for a month or so after mixing.

If you are stuck running some ethanol in your gas, like we are here in SC (up to E10), you want to check your mixture, especially on the 2-strokes. Make sure you are not running on the ragged edge of lean, because ethanol leans out your mixture even more.

I understand that Stihl certifies their new motors for use with up to E10. I run mostly older equipment and keep an eye on my plugs and revs to make sure I am not burning up my piston & rings.