1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas mileage comparison?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Larson Lawn Care, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer in October was offering to pay me $4500 for it. I think they offered $3500 at first. I have been wanting to buy a brand new truck (or very close to it) because I am tired of buying used trucks that will eventually (sooner than a new one) need some sort of major repair. I gave $14,000 for it in March 2007; it had about 100k on it. Now 4 years later it is only worth $3000-$4500 and I paid about 12% interest for 60 months? I just finally paid it off however, and I was hoping to get by several months without spending any money on major repairs to offset the savings of no monthly payment. I have been noticing a bit of a slip with the transmission. I am going to bring it in somewhere soon to have it checked out to see if I can make it until the fall without buying a new truck.
  2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I have used my 2001 GMC Yukon XL, 5.3, 4wd, 3.42. I have gotten 20.7 mpg @ 70 mph highway, 15's mpg local.

The 3/4 trucks are heavier and have larger engines so they will get less mpg. Yes 3/4 trucks can carry more and tow more then a 1/2 ton. Unless you need to pull heavier trailers and or loads then a 1500 can handle there is no benefit to buying a more expensive truck that will get lower mpg.
  3. GrassesGuy

GrassesGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Liston to this guy. More weight equals more gas. Stay with a half ton. I use them and they can easily pull a couple 48" and 21". I use an F-350 for bigger jobs like landscaping etc. Keep your truck you need a back up. Buy a used 1/2 ton with no more than 50,000 and you will be fine.