Gas mileage in your F-250 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Blades of Steel, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys shed some light on the gas mileage you get with your Ford F-250 Powerstroke pulling a 7 x 16 ft open air trailer. It is a 5000 dollar option and I want to make sure it is worth the extra dollars.

Tim

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

tim--I think that gas MPG number is...0 mpg. isn't the powerstroke diesel? sorry...couldn't resist!

GEO ;)

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

F350 4x4 7.3 14 mpg ain't worth it unless you put alot of miles per yr. on, or your grossly overloaded most of the time.

Mac

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Blades,

I have only heard of powerstrokes getting better mileage than the gas engines. And while pulling a trailer it should show even better mileage because of all the torque and not having to work even close to as hard as the gas option. If you still can't justify it look at how easy it is to upgrade to get more power from it on this page. http://www.off-road.com/ford/reviews/BullyDog/index.html All the extra power helps you get better mileage to.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why would any one want to pay more$$$$ to up grade a $5000$ option?? Just had to ask?

6. Blades of Steel

olderthandirt,

It is not an upgrade it is the difference in price when purchasing a diesel vs a gas burner NEW!!

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

You don't get a real big difference in gas mileage. more like 3-4 miles over what my suburban got. but with that new 6l diesel engine and the 5sp torque shift tranny, you've got 560 ft lbs of torque. and that cna pull anything. I pulled a 22x 7 trailer from ok city to austin one night and i couldnt even tell it was behind me. rpms were the same as if i was driving with nothing behind me. get the diesel if you've got the money. i love my truck. (by the way this is in the wrong forum)

8. Blades of Steel

jwingfield2k

Dang!!!! Sorry about the wrong forum. I totally forgot.... See its up to you guys to keep us all in line..

But thanks for the good information....

Tim

9. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

hi blades of steel

my new 6.0 gets 22.5 mpg empty on the road and 17 mpg around town. i have not loaded it enough to tell you the mileage but their right when they say it pulls like nothing else.

my 7.3 powerstroke got 20 on a trip and 14 aroun town.

they were both 4 wheel drives and crew cabs.

the new 5 speed auto is a joy to drive.

jerald

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Personally i dont think its worth the extra $5000 for an extra 2 or 3 mpg. I have a 2003 F250 with the 5.4L and it gets 12 mpg loaded to the max, and about 16mpg empty. Also look at the price of diesel, esp in my area, its more expensive than gas, so what would be the actual savings when diesel costs more for not that much better mileage.