Gas mileage with leaf boxes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Oct 21, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Okay don't know bout you guys, but with my truck (no box) I get average of 12 mpg, half highway empty, half in town with loaded trailer. With the leaf box, get this- 8 mpg (technically 7.9) !!!!!!! using same half highway empty, half in town loaded. I'm stopping at every gas station i come to and the attendants tell me to shut off the truck because the pumps can't keep up LOL (j/k). This is a Ford 351 gas V8, EFI, and 5 speed manual trans. Pretty bad IMO. Plus it's a major pain to drive on windy days. Now I don't normally care since i just buzz around town with it so it's not terrible, but today i went on a road trip 2 hrs one way and i went through 30 gallons of fuel in about 4 1/2 hrs driving time :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyone else checked their mileage with leaf box?

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

that one of the many reasons I went to diesel, as fast as you are advancing FSM, you'll have a diesel soon.:)

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Just can't wait for leaf season to be over (just starting) then I could afford to drive this beast again and not get so many looks from other kids LOL LOL. Thanks, I am thinking about upgrading truck next year MAYBE. Have not given it alot of thought. There's nothing wrong with this one but something more economical would be nice, 4wd would be nice and ability to plow , etc. We'll see ;)
    Sorry just had to vent, I would have guessed about 10 w/box, when i found 8 i just flipped.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

So when you go to an f250 gas and good size trailer, you can expect 7mpg, on a real, real, real good day with a tail wind. I'm getting 6.5 to 6.8 mpg. If you do any real traveling you have to go diesel. Luckily, after 6 1/2 months I just turned 3,000 miles. That's why I didn't go for the diesel.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We still get 15mpg in city (nothing in tow with the 4x6 dump with Powerstroke diesel. We opted to run all diesel pictured, we do around 25k miles a year on each truck

mvc-010f.jpg

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Pete :eek: I'd be scared to leave the driveway for 6.some mpg!!!! yikes.

Brian, 15 pretty good for that big F350 dump with box with a deisel. IMO I think with my box i'm getting better mileage in town than on highway because there's alot less wind resistance in town (buildings and trees to stop it) and lower speeds, again lower wind resistance. Even with the stop and go constant accelerating i beleive it's better in town. I don't road trip often, but my brother is at college two and a half hours away and his friend two hours away gave him a hot tub and he needed me to haul it back home for him LOL at least he's paying for the gas, $45-50. Hot tub is 7'x7' and took 4 guys to budge it onto the trailer, once home we dragged it off the trailer with a garden tractor and two guys guiding it. Sorry to get off topic, but point is i rarely do more than just drive to town (2 miles on highway) and in/around town so it's not a big deal for me too much. But now I know why they put two 20 gallon tanks on this truck instead of one 30 like our van! :dizzy:

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

You need to get your truck looked at. There isnt a truck out there that should get that bad of gas mileage. My F250 gets atleast 13 mpg loaded and about 16 empty.

8. Doc Pete

Yeah, I've got 2 heavy WB's, one light rider, 1 trim mower, 1 big push blower, and 6 assorted hand held equipment all in the enclosed. There's a big difference loaded and unloaded, but 7mpg I've been told is on the money when towing all that stuff.
    Yeah..... ugh!!!!
    Pete

9. Doc Pete

It does need to go for the first service, but I've been told that mileage isn't out of line for towing. It's a brand new 2003. Is yours new???? The dealer told me 10, when I'm not towing and that's about right, too. Do you really get 10 towing????
    Thanks,
    Pete

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Just for curiosity:

1) why didn't you go deisel then if you knew you would be hauling all that stuff, and i know you knew then because you got the truck within the past year if i remember right and i know you have been mowing longer than that?

2) I thought you had three Hustler w/b's, the standard 17/48, the homebuilt SWB 54" and the factory SWB 48"? Or do you only take the two SWB type ones anymore and keep the standard 48 for backup, or do you just take two out of the three depending on the jobs you would do that day? Or am I just thoroughly confused? :dizzy:

Thanks.