1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gas mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TandM, May 3, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Hey guys I was wondering if there were any ways to get better gas mileage in my dodge w200 full time 4x4 440bb truck. it sucks the tanks dry everytime you drive it it seems. I was thinking about headers and maybye a part time kit for the transfer case or just lockout hubs. I also heard about an economy carbuerator from edelbrock just wondering if those work? thanks for all sugestions.
  2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Park it and walk :laugh:
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use 10mm Taylor wires, a high performance cap and rotor, double platinum spark plugs, a high performance ignition coil, synthetic oil, a high performance air filter, a high performance breather cap, replaced the O2 sensor and the fuel filter, changed trans fluid and filter, greased up the zerks in front and lubed the wheel bearings. Also filled and regularly check my tires pressure, I keep these to the Max.psi sidewall rating.

That's keeping up on the maintenance, this helps.

A tonneau cover helps as well, so does a GPS.
    As does hypermiling, things such as driving without brakes and engine-off coasting.
    That's on top of taking it real nice and easy and staying WAY back.
    But I still only get 11.5 maybe 12, so you decide.
    Yesterday at the pump, mpg check came out to 11.334...

It ain't easy, I guarantee as much.
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of it and drive one with a Cummins diesel.
  5. TandM

from south

Thanks topsites I will do all of that when It gets back from paint. I bought this truck for 1500 bucks because it had a straight body and a good motor. Diesel is 1.00 a gallon more expensive in my area. I do not drive that far all of my cutting is on 2 islands. I only acasionaly drive more than 20 miles to get something. Just trying to minimize my overhead thanks again
  6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, but you wasted your money. Around here you can get late model F150 XLs for under $4000 and can appear a little more professional than you'll ever look in a 30yr old pickup with "new paint". They also get good mileage with the V6 and smaller V8.
  8. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

You can try changing your driving habits. Gear higher, more throttle.

Synthetic transmission oil should give you 5% more mpg, more on short trips.
  9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

A set of part time hubs should buy you 5-10%. Which on that thing is going to be 3/4 to 1 mile per gallon. Not really much you can do for something like that.
  10. TandM

from south

Hey fool lets see a little f150 pull a loaded 21000 pound trailer down the road at 70mph with the front tires on the ground yea I don't think it would work really great. And by the way it is only a 3 speed auto.