Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DawsonLC, Sep 8, 2013.

1. DawsonLC

DawsonLC LawnSite Member

I'm looking at an older model Chevy dually that gets 10 mpg.
    It gets the same in city or hwy. Is this good or can I get better.
    The price is 2000.00

2. DSLS

DSLS LawnSite Member

I have got 3 dodge 3500 diesel trucks and they all average about 10 mpg. One is a 12 valve one is a 24 valve and the 2012 is the 6.7L. Also had 2008 dodge - got 10-11 and a 2011 ford powerstroke that got 8-9. A ton truck pulling a load around town just isn't going to get great mileage. Not saying that 10mpg is good but I just haven't got much better with any of my 1 ton trucks when loaded. Empty on the highway though I can get 15-17 out of the Cummins. The price isn't bad if it runs good and you really can't expect much more mileage than that out of a loaded ton truck around town. If that 10mpg is not loaded then I would expect it to drop a bit once you put something behind it. May drop to as little as 6-8 if its a gas motor.

3. DawsonLC

DawsonLC LawnSite Member

it is a 350 gas engine. I'm using a F150 right now, it pulls good but can not handle the weight of
    the trl and Ztrac unless I move the mower over the trl axles. Still debating on buying the chevy.

4. DSLS

DSLS LawnSite Member

It will certainly handle loads better but keep in mind along with higher fuel costs insurance may be higher, tires are much higher to replace (about 1200.00 a set is cheap) and you may have to have a higher weight class tag so these things can start cutting into your profit when you add them up. The 1 ton will have bigger brakes than your F150 so that is a huge plus on the safety side of things.

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Lose several tons of horsepower, dump the club cab, shake the 4wd = 14 mpg.

As for tires, the parts Mafia definitely gets into this so I buy and install my own: $400 a set.
    Brand spanking new, Light truck, 16 inch rims.
    Actually, $396.44 with the shipping.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. DSLS

DSLS LawnSite Member

Your getting 6 new load range E 10 ply tires for a dually for under 400.0?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You have to lose a lot of that overburden, the guy wants better than 10mpg and you folks are talking LM2500 gas turbines, these things don't work together.
    Matter of fact I don't foresee a full ton dually even getting 10mpg once you hitch that triple axle trailer.
    7-8 sounds more like it, maybe a diesel but you're not saving money there either.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

What exact tires are you using....
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Barnabas

Barnabas LawnSite Member

he said LT's not 10ply... i bet thats why they are so cheap