Gas - % of your costs.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by thill, Jul 29, 2006.

1. thill

thill LawnSite Member

Last year, our fuel costs were almost 12% of our total costs. That's a pretty major portion of our total costs. I wonder if I am in line or not?

For those of you who compute these components of cost, how much was yours.

Thanks for any input

Tom

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Ours was just over 8% last year, and is probab;y over 10% this year

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Mine was around 8% for 2005 if I remember correctly.

4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

As a percent of costs, last year was 22%. This year is 18% to date. As a solo operation I am able to keep many costs low, therefore the higher number on the fuel. I think representing the number as a percent of gross would be a better number to use for budgeting, etc.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'll put it this way. We use fleet gas credit cards from BP, Exxon, Mobil, Citgo, Union 76, Fuel City/Circle K, and Sheetz and between the fact that we use so much gas and diesel and that both have gone up so in price, that each one of those cards now have a $5,000.00 limit and only a couple years ago I had them at a $1500.00 limit.

6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Last year 8.4%. So far this year 10.2%.
    I have the opportunity to lock in my gas price at $ 2.859 per Gallon through Feb. 28 2007. What do you think should I do it?

7. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

never heard of being able to lock in gas prices.....i assume thru a particular credit card?..........can u explain

8. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I buy all my gas and diesel from AG ONE CO-OP as a member I get the chance twice a year to pre-order a given amount of fuel at a set price. There is two catches one is if I don't use it all I pay a penalty. This time the penalty is 14 cents a gallon. Two is I pay the locked in price even if the price goes down. The trick to maximize the deal is to be able to accurately, as possible, guess your next years usage. I have never done it before for fear the price might go down after I lock in my amount. I don't really feel that's a concern this year unfortunately.

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm to dang tired to look last years up, we changed versions of QB, and I'd have to open the old one, just to lazy :)

I'm positive ours has increased due in part to higher fuel costs but more so in terms of volume. More customers this year over last. This year fuel is running at 13%.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Know it-- Mine were at $700 per month and we had to fight to raise it as we were at that per week per card.