gas or diesel and why

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Pilgrims' Pride, May 10, 2008.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Ok, I'm sure if I did a search I'd find the answer but with 4 little kids flyin' around me I dont get the time to read.

Anyway, the motor in my f-350 Sd blew the other day and wont be repaired for a bit.
    I decided to spend the $ and fix the truck rather than replace it now.

But, I am planning ahead now to replace it.

I pull an enclosed trailer weighing in around 4000 lbs when I leave in the AM.
    I travel an average of 80-100 miles every day (I cover a pretty large area).
    I do plow in the winter.

I've always owner Fords. But that is no longer important.
    Chevy, Dodge, or GMC would be all the same for me as long as it is reliable and more fuel efficient.

Given those facts and the price of fuel these days, which way would you all go on the replacement?
    Gas again, Ford power stroke, dodges cummins, chevy duramax?

Thanks,

Bob

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We travel a lot in our diesel Airstream motor home, get 15mpg & since we
    put high miles on it, the diesel is worth the extra price of fuel (gag!).
    Every one we met on our last trip that had the duramax w/allison raved
    about it. These are people that tow large fifth wheelers & standards.
    Not one person expressed dissatisfaction; pretty good recommendation,
    I'd say. :)

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Go Diesel. All the brands have goods and bads. Find a few local dealers, test drive similar trucks and see what you like best! FWIW, I have an 06 f250 4x4 6.0 psd and get around 17 city un loaded and 14 towing a 6x16 open.

4. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Diesel. You work your truck and you put a good amount of miles on the truck. Even with the extra cost of diesel per gallon when you compare a gas truck averaging around 10 mpg and a diesel averaging 15 mpg after you spend more at the pump the better millage comes out to over $1,000 savings a year based on 12,000 miles and what the price difference is at the pump now. The smoother power delivery you get with a diesel can never be replaced by any gas truck. I will never go back to a gas truck that is used to work or pull any loads small or big.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I can not understand why any one that is not pulling 80,000 lbs (40 tons)would get a diesel.
    I have a 1984 Ford E 350, 6 cylinder engine. 230,000 + miles. If you take care of a gas engine, it will last as long as any diesel.
    How much weight are you carrying / pulling ? I have carried 4 ton of lime in the back of the truck, no problems. Pulled a fully loaded hydro seeded, 800 gallons of water plus the weight of the trailer and the hydro seeded, no problem.
    It was only after 110,000 miles did the trans start to slip, so it was rebuilt, not a problem since.
    Maybe the LCO got lucky when he bought the truck, I know I got lucky when the company closed and was given the truck. I get 12 mpg, I know guys that are only getting that with there diesels.
    I've driven Fords and Chevys all my life, all great trucks. IMHO, Diesels are over rate unless you are pulling/carrying alot of weight, 10 plus tons every day. $ 3.50 vs. $ 4.25 a gallon at today's prices. Do the math.
    But that's just my thoughts, for what it's worth :drinkup:

ericg likes this.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You now have a golden opportunity to put you a cummins in there!! great thing to do. or a powerstroke. you cant go wrong with either. and yes of course diesel. cuz come on...

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

My truck is a 2000 Ford Ranger with a 2.3 L 4-cylinder. It has pulled my 1200+lbs. of equipment for 216K miles. I will be getting a bigger truck soon because I need more bed space. Take care of your truck, and it will take care of you.:cool2:

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Take a close look at the duramax/allison bob. I purchased a 2008 regular cab this past december. Its not the super luxury model as its combo work truck-personal vehicle. Its a reg cab (3500) cloth seats, cd, ac,xm, 4 wd, locking rear end with an awesome plow prep package (twin 125 amp alternators!) I drove this truck off the lot for 34! All year long this truck was 42, they couldn't go any lower, then december comes along and the bottom falls out of the economy, go figure. If ford gets their diesel plan together, there is talk of cat motors going into new fords, have a look see. Stay away from dodge! This duramax/allison is a towing dream truck. Good luck, S.T.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

You should drive a 3500 with the 8.1/Allison before making blanket statements about power delivery. :)

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if it was a test mule or not but there was a Cat labeled ( well kitty would be a better term due to size ) SD 450 running around here the other day. Hook a Cat to an Allison and you probably couldn't beat that package.