1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas or diesel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AFD, Feb 13, 2007.

1. AFD

AFD LawnSite Member

I'm planning on buying an exmark XS I can't decide on the 29 hp dfi kawasaki gas or the 25 hp kubota diesel. Does anyone know how many gallons per hour each uses or which cuts better or faster? What are some pros and cons about each.
  2. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

The diesel will be more fuel efficient and it will have more power. Even though the gas has a higher Hp rateing, the diesel will have more torque or "staying power". The only real drawback to the diesel is it will weigh more than the Kawasaki.
  3. F.O.S.

F.O.S. LawnSite Member

I agree w/ grassaholic. Especially if you have a gas station around that sells off road diesel fuel. Then again you can always wright off the fuel tax on your mowers.
  4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Well what are you all running right now? All gas machines, All Diesel's, or a Mix of the two?
    Personaly I'd go with the Kubota Diesel. Its a tough little bugger that probably out last the rest of the machine. But if something does go on it bring your wallet.
  5. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think the diesel is worth it. 29hp is plenty of power. IT will take you years for you to actually see a savings in fuel and by that time you will have so many problems with the mower it will just be cheaper to replace it. Or what if the engine ever goes?, it is much cheaper to replace a gas engine.
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Of the 2 I'd take the Kubota diesel. If I went with a gasonline engine I'd do with the 35hp Vanguard.
  7. AFD

AFD LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help. To answer Swampy's question I have an exmark with a 28hp that is efi. Jtkplc why do you think the vanguard is a better motor? Is it harder on gas, does it have more power then the other ones. I know it has a carburator, didn't know what affect that would have on it. Thanks again for all the help so far.
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

another thing to consider.. the price of gas has come down quite a bit. the price of diesel is still on up there. so if you saved any fuel it'd probably be offset by the price difference.
  9. mowpart rep3

mowpart rep3 LawnSite Member

im a dealer and not trying to knock exmark but i know its made by toro and i sell the toro, the diesels have not been to popular mainly because of the belt configuration. i have sold alot more gas units. if you looking at a diesel i would lean toward a 322d grasshopper

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Gas SHOULD rise above diesel as it gets warmer, when you are mowing yards.

Diesel fuel is almost the same as heating fuel, so in the winter time when heating fuel is in demand, it drives the prices up.

In the summertime demand for heating fuel is low so the prices ease on diesel, while gas prices rise because warmer weather invites more people to travel on trips and vacations.

My mowers are gas but if I were to look at an alternative fuel for the big mower, it would be propane.