Gas or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lantz, Mar 31, 2002.

1. lantz

lantz LawnSite Member

Is it worth the extra money for a diesel rider, heard contrasting opinions. What's your opinion on mowers?
  2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if you can afford the diesel engione i would go with it. The engine will last alot longer than a gas engine will. just my .02 though
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I used to drive a 99 chevy 2500 with a 5.7 gas engine, it ran fine gave me no problems.
    I now have a 2000 ford f-250 with a powerstroke diesel, I will never go back to a gasser in a work vehicle.
    The power is awesome, and I get great mileage towing or otherwise.
    The extra $$$ you spend are well worth it.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you can afford it and it's available, go with the diesel. Not only will they last much longer, fuel normally is cheaper for them too.

BTW, all our trucks are diesel and our 3 72" Toro Groundsmasters mowers are diesel as well. We love 'em...
  5. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I had a 1970 Chevy C30 with a 350, it was a really nice truck because it was restored but I only got 6- 10 mpg switched to a 2000 Dodge Diesel and I now get 15:18 mpg I too like many others will not go back to gas. I also ordered a 2002 Dixie Chopper 50 hp diesel. Should be in in a few weeks. I am looking forward to see how this mower does on fuel. I don't need every bit of that power, but as others say if you have the extra money to spend get it.
  6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel all the way! We bought a new diesel Walker a few weeks ago and so far so complaints yet, much more powerful then our gas Walker. We still have gas trucks but are in the process of changing that over too...that'll take a while though. Im saving my pennies to get a new Duramax diesel pickup...can't wait for that!!!

Now if only they had diesel weedwackers ;)
  7. LP

LP LawnSite Member

It really depends on how you operate your business, for example some of us replace our machines when the waranty goes out ,which on the average is about 2yrs. If you plan on running the machine for a longer period than this and you do have the extra money, i would say diesel but I also hear that on some models the break in period is almost 500 hours so until that time you really dont get the full effects of power the machine actually offers!
    Just my thoughts
  8. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

My trucks are diesel and construction machinery as well. I'm shopping for the Kubota 28 hp Z rider to replace my Kohler powered Skag. I have an off road diesel tank, fuel is cheaper and it will save me those stops at the gas station. I feel these benefits outweigh the price.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

used gas for years. bought a bladerunner diesel last year and I will never buy a gas mower again!
  10. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

Anyone know of a diesel walkbehind?