1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas Or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IBGreen, Jan 30, 2003.

1. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what engines you guys liked. Trucks too.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Spend the extra cash and buy diesel when or where ever you can. It reminds me of the "belt vs hydro" debate.
  3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Diesel all the way, and you will LOVE the smell:D
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Do you mean Diesel trucks or mowers? I am not sure I can justify the price for a mower unless it was a Kubota. I am afraid the mower would fall apart around the diesel. It is unlikely that the hydros and many other parts would survive. I would prefer to trade every couple years and have the most advanced design, and a mower under warrentee. If you plan on keeping a mower forever, and you are positive it is the right mower, maybe diesel would be a good choice. I am not that confident in my ability to pick a mower and be happy with it.

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

If we are talking trucks I think its worth it. I am in the market for a newer used Dump this year. I am planning to buy diesel if I can. I think it is worth the investment.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

2002 Diesel Gator
    2002 Chevy Duramax
    2003 New Diesel Mower - still deciding which one
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Shady Brook - Get the JD Diesels - the tractor and trany (hydrostatic) will go at least 10,000 hrs - I know of noone and some have had the hydrostatic JD tranies since the 70's and they never go bad. - The JD tractor 455 type have a frame as big as a pickup truck - cast front ends with 1" spindles etc etc.

Thanks, Brad
  8. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!!!!!
    (mowers too!)
  9. iowapride

iowapride LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I run 8 diesel mowers and 0 gas. Just ordered a 2003 with the Duramax. Won't ever consider a gas motor. Worth the extra $$$
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2002 f-250 diesel, would never buy another gasser, my opinion though, great fuel milage and pulling power.